Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tour de Fleece 2010 - fibre prep


Again, I've been sampling. These are all spun on the same spindle, using the same drafting method, and finished the same way. They are all Romney, from the same part of the same fleece. The sheep itself is from somewhere on Salt Spring Island.

I think these are gorgeous. I wish I could send a little sample to each and every one of you so that you could feel how soft they all are.

The one on the far left is 2ply the other two are singles. The far left and centre yarn are both combed fibre, spun worsted. The yarn on the right is spun from the comb waste and has a delightful texture.

I love the hand of the combed singles. It is so smooth and fine. Almost silky. The fibre wants to spin up finer than my Shetland does, which is saying something.

This isn't a project I'll do for the Tour de Fleece, at least not this year, but what I would like to do is to spin up some of these combed singles and comb-waste singles and try weaving with them (the smooth combed singles as warp, the textured yarn as weft).

1 comment:

Josiane said...

Gorgeous! This will make for a fabulous handwoven fabric.