Friday, March 09, 2012

A llama I call Tom


Well, I haven't seen the northern lights yet. The moon has been just too bright this week. But I'll keep trying.

I would like to introduce you to the llama I call Tom.


Isn't he splendid?

He adopted our flock this winter. He just sort of wondered in from a neighbour's farm and decided he liked us. He's an expert mooch and has taught our heard how to glean food off all the soft hearted neighbours. Now our boys are getting really fat!

They get their breakfast from us at sunrise, then wonder over to the neighbours at the back who feed their goats mid morning and give treats to our llama and alpacas. Then around lunch time the are given apples and carrots from another neighbour, and late afternoon the other side gives them horse treats. At sunset they come home to us and we usually give them some kale or extra hay, depending on what the weather has been like.

Our boys sure have learned a lot from Tom!

I have no idea the last time Tom has been shorn. But what I can tell, his fibre is pretty long. I think it's time for him to get a hair cut. So this spring when the llama lady arrives, she will have one more pretty boy to shear. I wonder what it's going to be like to spin.



2 comments:

Natalie Freed said...

Pretty much: eeeeeeeee!!!

Josiane said...

He is indeed splendid! And what I see of his fibre on the picture is gorgeous. I would imagine that it'd be a real pleasure to spin. Enjoy!