Saturday, April 21, 2012

Zombies are after me in my dreams.

Picked up this bracelet made from a fork recently from CandleBrightCreations on etsy.




The Lord of the Rings quote, "Not all who wander are lost" is somehow printed into the metal.  Personally, I think it's fantastic, and even if I had the tools to make this I don't think I could ever come up with the idea on my own.

An old, everyday object, transmogrified (great word Transmogrified) into something familiar yet unique.  It represents moving forward in a way that is no longer wasteful like our throwaway society.  Honouring the past, yet forging a new style.  Cutlery always reminds me of civility - so many pages of etiquette manuals are dedicated to which spoon goes with which course.  And yet, there is something so earthy about this kind of item as jewellery.

This bracelet inspired me to make a 'matching' necklace.



The necklace is made by putting a jump ring on a vintage sewing machine shuttle (Singer 127).  I can wear it around my neck in case of emergency.  Given the way my life has been going lately, you never know...

 It's from an old machine I'm toying with.  The body is quite rusty, so I might take it all the way apart just to see how it all works... not sure if I want to put it together again or make more jewellery.  But that's a project for another day.






Something I haven't told you yet, I've been having bad dreams.  

We are talking so scared when I wake up I can't even turn on a lamp for fear that the zombies will be see the light and burst out of my dream and through the window, so I lay awake in bed shaking, for 6 hours until the sun comes up - that kind of bad dream.

The dreams are about zombies.  Two nights ago one of them bit me.  He wasn't a real zombie... well he was, only he got sort-of cured.  His mind was cured, but he was still rotting and stinking like a zombie (dream zombies smell terrible!).  Freud would know what to think of that, I sure don't.

I was thinking maybe I should warn everyone about my zombie bite.  Instead of wearing a sandwich board sign around my neck, I found a far more fashionable way to declare my condition.



Better sell some more yarn so I can get this quick, before it's too late.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

I love that your new bracelet gave you the inspiration to give a new life to that piece of an old sewing machine! I'm curious to see what else you might create with its other parts.