Monday, July 11, 2005

I did a lot of knitting yesterday, for all the wrong reasons.

My shapely tank top is so wonderful; although, I still have doubts as to whether I’ve chosen the correct size. I’ll find out soon enough, I suppose. The short row shaping at the base of the top was a breeze and the organic cotton I’ve chosen is so soft. I really love this top; I might end up making more soon. I think that this would be good to make while I study due to the large quantity of st st. I love st st, but I think it is time for a change soon. I have some yarn I could use to make the socks from the fall issue of Interweave Knits with lots and lots of cables. That should save some money, thought I might have to purchase some new needles.

Yesterday morning, I played in my garden. I dug out all the Swede because they were sick and full of worms. I tied up the cucumber, picked some cabbage, beet and beans, planted some cabbage and peppers, dusted the plants with diazotized earth, and weeded the path way. It was lovely. I improved my tan and brought home some food for the next few days. Now if only I could find some leeks for planting. Last year, one little pot of baby leeks produced about 150+ leeks. yummy.

Both of my grandparents are very ill. I spent the rest of the day caring for them. I know that this is the very reason why I am living in this city at this time; however, it’s not easy. Caring for two infirmed adults requires a lot of work and a lot of waiting. Waiting equals knitting. Sometimes it is hard to knit at their home because my grandmother is the person who first taught me how to knit. I have this resistance against learning to speed knit with the yarn in my left hand like Elizabeth Zimmerman because my grandmother taught me to hold the yarn in my right hand and I knit that way out of respect for her. It is difficult to be at their house. They have care workers come in several times a day and care for them. It is a complete loss of dignity and it breaks my heart. At least they can still live at home for now. I think if that ever changed, neither of them would last very long.

The pictures are from my trip to California. Sad, but beautiful. Beautiful in their sadness. A reflection of how I feel today.

1 comment:

RunsWithTrowels said...

your new space looks great.
beautiful photos!