Thursday, October 13, 2005

Works of Love

While reading Kierkegaard I wonder, What is faith?
Faith requires love, but what is love?
Is it dependent on trust?
I’m not good with trust.

When I ask someone I perceive to have faith, what it is to have faith, they respond, don’t you have faith that the world around you exists and that it will continue to follow causal laws &c.?
Not really.
I imagine that anyone who knows me must be able to see this with the greatest of easy.
But then again, I have to live with myself.
They don’t.

3 comments:

RunsWithTrowels said...

thanks for the comment! i am absolutely a-tingle to get rogue started. the yarn i intend to use is from tess's designer yarns. it's a cultivated silk/wool blend.
if you go back to my may archives, i have her website linked in the ms&w booty post.

JustApril said...

I guess the answer depends on which 'love' you mean, philia, agape or eros. Philia is the love most people have naturally for their own family (like Philiadephia ='s city of brotherly love). Eros, is romantic type love, and is based mostly attraction. Agape is a deeper, more principled love - more cerebral. It's love of our fellow man based on principles of general kindness toward all people without regard to prejudices.

As for the love that keeps a marriage working, it has to a combiantion that includes them all.

Reasoning E'Bert said...

Whichever kind of love that faith requires. But I have no idea what that would be.