Monday, November 28, 2005

In my life...

November is never easy. Personally, I think the month hates me. If anything is going to go disastrously wrong in my life, you know the type, so wrong as to shake one's whole existence kind of wrong, it will go wrong in the month of November. But it's almost over, only two days left. What's the worst that can happen?

That aside, I came here to talk about me. Of late, things have been pretty rough, but with the end of November approaching, I thought I'd get back in the grove and talk about two of my favorite things; knitting and philosophy.

Knittingwise, I haven't been up to all that much. I finished off a cute set of armwarmers. They fit really snug and look (according to my classmates) 'bad-ass', whatever that might mean. I've been working away at Eris, cable edged sweater. I'm almost done the torso and soon, I get to make some sleeves. Other than that, I'm knitting an everyday bag. There is a lot of seed stitch, so it's taking longer than I planed. It is also going to need a lining, but since my sister showed me how to use the sewing machine this month when she came to visit, I think I can make myself a lining, no problem.

For Philosophy I'm, at this very moment, writing my major paper for Kierkegaard class. I really should have been finished last night, but I'll hand it in a day late. It's a self directed class, so the deadlines are not as fixed as in other classes and it's only a first draft. My problem with this paper is that there are so few and so many references on the subject. There are few enough references about Kierkegaard that I could read all English resources in about two years or less, but there are too many to read in 3 months. I keep seeing references to something else to that would help my essay, but I don't have time, and often don't have access to the material. Oh well. I've written 7 pages so far, I have 13 pages left to write today. It shouldn't be too hard, this is a topic I can talk about for hours.

Speaking about Soren Kierkegaard, my task for Christmas break, I'm going to apply for a fellowship to go to a university in the USA so that I can research SK. My current university isn't very amicable to what they call European non analytic philosophers. I would love the opportunity to participate in an environment that encourages the somethingsomething.

anyway, got a paper to go write. I'm looking forward to a new month, and a new way of being.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Found a server on the ol' MAC that supports your blog. Finally! Guess all that fiddling around on this computer really has paid off. On the downside, I broke my computer and it looks like I'll have to get another mouse, which sucks because I'm selling it to my brother. Frank and I sat around it last night, poking the mouse, rebooting the computer, but to no avail. I'm not going to cry over it though.

I'm glad November is almost over. It's been a shitty month. I'm even more glad that I'll be out of this town in two months and even more glad that I'll be down there in a month. It'll fly by. I know it will.

EmmA...er...Pamela said...

yay. have fun with soren (we're on the first name basis). hope all turns your way...

Lady Cooper said...

Amen, you're not the only one whom November takes foooor eveeeeeerr....and is pretty nasty month too.

Try some indignation over Remembrance Day, American Thanksgiving, and get started on complaining about Christmas. Gets me through the month.