Thursday, February 16, 2006

Again with the supervenience - Eartha Kitt rocks my world.

Here is something from Donald Davidson's paper Mental Events:

"...mental characteristics are in some sense dependent, or supervenient, on physical characteristics. Such supervenience might be take to mean that there cannot be two events alike in all physical respects but differing in some mental respect, or that an object cannot alter in some mental respect without altering in some physical respect. Dependence or supervenience of this kind does not entail reducibility through laws of definition: if it did, we could reduce moral properties to descriptive, and this there is good reasion to believe cannot be done; and we might be able to reduce truth in a formal system to syntatical properties, and this we know cannot in general be done."

Right, I don't accually have time to talk about this right now, but I would love to hear/read what you have to say.

Also, is Eartha Kitt still alive. I love you eMusic.com, now I know that cat woman (the original) had a singing career.

7 comments:

Leanne said...

I think she's still alive. Have you ever watched the disney movie "The Emporer's New Groove"? She plays the voice of Izma (sp?) the crazy lady. I think she's prbably like 80 by now...

Jen said...

Yeah, I think you're right. She is still alive. Did you ever see her on Batman? It was so funny. Oh Adam West. Man, I miss family guy. Simpsons just don't quite cut it.

Wow, that was quite the train of thought. I'm all over the place. But, yes, I think Leanne's right. She's still alive.

Reasoning E'Bert said...

I miss family guy too. I wonder when it's on. The moon is much larger than I think it should be if it is suppose to be completly gone by my birthday. I wonder why I am commenting on my own blog? Monkey see, monkey do I suppose.

Reasoning E'Bert said...

wow. that was increadibly difficult to leave a comment on my blog.

Leanne said...

family guy is on sunday nights at 9 (i think) but i have no idea what channel...

Jen said...

You guys are lucky, they don't get family guy over here! I wonder if I could rent the dvds...but it's not really worth it to me to rent them. Bloody expensive, I expect.

*sigh* Family guy...

Reasoning E'Bert said...

Darn, I missed it again. I was watching The Butcher's Wife instead. ops.

I miss Family Guy too....