Sunday, February 05, 2006

Living the Life: Through Veiled Eyes

Living the Life: Through Veiled Eyes

I wonder what it would feel like to wear a garb and veil like that. It is a culture foreign to my own and even in my travels, I have never been anywhere near a Muslim community.

We had two Islamic sisters in my high school. My high school was a posh as a public school can get, full of one thousand white (mostly wealthy) teens, 3 Chinese girls, and these two sisters. The older one was more respectful than the majority of my peers, she also wore the (I don't know the name of it) outfit. The younger one, my age, dressed western, and she was the most obnoxious and disrespectful person I have ever met. She took great pleasure picking on her classmates. She was a real life bully.

I guess my point is that the only two (obviously) Muslin woman I have met were distinct individuals. Looking back at it, I don’t know that I thought of them as anything else. I have a hard time understanding the generalized stereotype that the Western media portrays.