Monday, February 20, 2006

Supervenience, Globalization, Knitting, & Cat.

About University:
Well, I’ve decided, I will write my Anthropology paper on Globalization about the internet, or more specifically about how this “global” method of communication; or as Andreas Weigend put it on a recent edition of Mobuzz, I’ll talk about “architectures of interaction” and use examples of knitting online to create a more concrete element to my usual abstract philosophical style of writing.


About Philosophy (supervenience):
Energy as the basic stuff that makes the universe, eh? Now that is interesting. That would mean that physics no longer holds the place as most ‘basic’ of the sciences in which all things can be reduced to and explained by. hmmm.... that makes me think... I would love to read more on that, do you have any suggestions where I might start? I’ll see if I can bring it up in class this week and see what Dr. F has to say about it. Yet, I’m not certain how this is going to help me understand supervenience; it just changes what supervenes on what. I also wonder – energy is pretty natural stuff, It doesn’t ascribe any meaning to itself, and if it is the only basic stuff of the universe – so, how does this get us away from natural monism? Just wondering.

About Knitting:
It has been a year this month since I became a prolific knitter. I have knitted before, but never with so much enthusiasm. In all that time, I have only three projects that I did not finish, two of which I will actually finish eventually. I think it is about time I branch out, so I have ordered this starter embroidery kit from Sublime Stitching. I’ll let you know how it goes when it gets here. It looks like it will be fun.

About Face:
My cat is pretty. When she runs on our new wood floor, she slips and slides and ends up running almost on the spot. It makes me smile.

1 comment:

JustApril said...

I love seeing new lights go on in people's minds! =)*)

Energy has many forms even at the basic level.

Radioactive, electric, sound, light (which is still under debate) Radio waves, magnetic energy, all with different properties and behavior. I'm sure I've miscategorized something, but, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants at the moment =)

but you get the picture, I'm sure