Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Out of the loop

I've been a bit distracted lately. Mostly I blame the weather. It is far too sunny and overly lovely this week. A very good friend (you know who you are) and I have been cycling around town and are now sufficiently sun burnt. Oh...Happy Days!

A craft shop in town is going out of business, so I bought some sock yarn. I decided that it would be perfect for the Rib and Cable Socks from the Fall 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. Only I left the pattern at home when I went out and rather than stop knitting until I could get home, I decided to make it up as I go along. I also had to 'invent' a way of cableing without a cable needle, which was 'fun'. Now, it looks very unlike the original pattern, I've varied completely off and I think I'll go astray even further by adapting the heal and toe from the Simply Lovely Lace Socks from the recent Interweave Knits. Oh Well! At least I'm trying.

I made socks a while back with some cotton/elastic yarn, and I hate them. I really do. I've frogged them twice, and they just are shite! They look lovely if you don't wear them, but if you stretch them they look and feel like crap. I was so sad and thought about giving up on socks all together. Now, with these new socks, I'm feeling better. This will be my third pair of use-able socks.



On a side note. A very nice Gideon gave me a bible the other day. I couldn't refuse because every good academic needs a bible, and I'm just curios. For reasons that don't need explaining at this juncture, I am rather fond of the book of John. So, I started reading it. Now I have a question: Did/does Jesus have free will? If so, in what way?

I know, it's a foolish philosopher's question, but It's bugging me and I really want to know.

7 comments:

JustApril said...

Good question! And the answer is yes. Free will is a gift and a right. Without free will obedience and submission mean nothing. When a person who by right has free will then in turn CHOOSES to obey or submit to the will of another, that is also a gift.

That's why when people try to control each other, it doesn't work out very well. Being a controlling person is an abuse of power and it's not even a step that God is willing to take. He knows that people will either worship him or they won't, he doens't force that decision on anyone. When we are drawn to God and decide to love him, it really is a gift to him, and he appreciates it.

I particularly like the book of John as well, since it's written from the angle of love and friendship. John was a very sensitive guy and that makes his telling of the account very appealing to women. Matthew was written by a numbers guy, so he is more precise about small details and numbers. Mark is written from Peter's point of view as he told it to Mark. Peter being a very emotional man of action and very extroverted, gives a fast paced, to the point, action filled account. Luke was a physician, so he payed attention to the people more and what they were going thru and has a very empathetic way of telling it.

I also like the book of James, which is a short book but very intelligently written, in my perspective.

Reasoning E'Bert said...

Thank you,

I'm curious about Jesus having free will because He keeps saying in the book of John that He is/can only doing/do what God wills.

JustApril said...

Because that's what he chose to do. He volunteered for that job and did it willingly. "I came to do, not my will, but the will of he who sent me."

His reason for being there was specific, he had a job to do, and he did it, because he wanted to help us.

When he was baptized, he presented himself to God to HIS will, dedicated his life to God's will. So once he made that dedication, he had already made the promise, so he "couldn't" go against it in good conscience. Of course, at any time, he was ABLE to break the promise, but it was unthinkable to him so he said it in that way, "I CAN'T".

A good illustration of that is in marriage you make certain promises to each other. If someone outside your marriage asks you to break the promise, you say, "I can't" knowing full well it IS possible, you just CAN NOT do that to your mate, your marriage and yourself.

does that make more sense?

unenlightened said...

Are you more free or less free when you follow the pattern, or when you improvise your knitting? I would guess it's about the same. The limits of my freedom are fear and desire, which allow me to be bought and bullied. To be free of these (not the same as 'free from'); that would be freedom, that would be love. Sounds like Jesus? Sounds like God's will? But for us humans, 'will' is still the operation of fear and desire, so free-will is contradictory. Freedom is being fully engaged with the knitting.

Reasoning E'Bert said...

That does help allot. Thank you.

I think I was just missing the part about him volunteering to come down to earth.

What you said reminds me to Abraham and Issac. Abraham always had the choice to disobey God's command, but he obeyed him.

Reasoning E'Bert said...

Unenlightened has a good point.

The problem often begins with how we define 'free will'.

JustApril said...

The Abraham and Isaac situation was prophetic of the relationship between God and Jesus, so it only makes sense that it's reminiscant of it.

As for free will, even in a society that doesn't have freedom, the people still have free will. As humans we make free will decisions all the time. What time do I get up, will I be late today, in spite of consequences? Drive safely or not? Eat this or that? Choose your friends, date or not, choose a style of you own to wear. Likes and dislikes can be influenced of course, but it's still up to you to be influenced or not. Go with the flow or against the grain.

The fact that free will is a gift, however, doesn't mean we don't suffer the consequences of bad decisions. Jails are full of people who abused their free will. It's just that we all have choices and opportunities to use wisely or not.