Wednesday, May 30, 2007

six

I have kept the same sourdough starter alive for over two months now. It's a rye starter based on Nigella Lawson's recipe in How to be a Domestic Goddess. By based on, I mean I started by loosely following her directions, and now I quite often make what ever kind of bread I feel like from it. Sometimes rye, sometimes oaty bread, sometimes pizza. Well you get the idea.







For those of you who don't know, sourdough, from how I understand it, makes yeast out of air. You mix up flour and water in the correct quantities and leave it loosely covered for most of a week. After a few days it starts to bubble. Once it's made, you can keep it in the fridge and use it to make bread. The night before you want to bake a loaf, bring out the starter and mix some of it with more flour and water and set aside. This is called sponge. Then you feed the starter with more flour and water, leave it out for a few hours (to 'eat' the food) then put it back in the fridge again.







I have no idea how long starter can live. But, to celebrate two months of sourdough, I bought my starter its very own jar (as seen here). And for all you technical fiends, yes, I know how it really works, I just wanted to over simplify things a little for easy reading. Really, when you get down to the bare basics, it's pretty much works how I said.




1 comment:

Leslie said...

Sure, use the knitting list. I got it from www.chicknits.com.

Cheers!
Leslie