Sunday, May 27, 2007

three

It's Sunday morning, and I woke to the sound for church bells. It's one of the privileges of living in a small city is that all the churches chatter to each other on Sunday mornings. Each church has it's own melody and when they ring all together, it sounds like a breakfast gathering of elderly women gossiping over what they saw during the week.

This wedding gift progresses slowly. I still have moments of panic when I try to judge if I'll be finished in time or not. I still have a few weeks to go, but even so, I am nervous.




Here is a rough draft for some socks. Last week, as I mentioned earlier, I wondered down to the Moss St. Market where all things sold are locally grown or made, ethically (used in the common meaning, not the technical one) produced and environmentally friendly. One stall sells yarn and (pre-washed & carded) wool harvested from their sheep, less than half an hours drive, so I bought one bag of white and one of dark grey/brown wool in hopes of actually spinning sock yarn (this time). If it works out I will, in theory, have enough for two pairs of socks. One of them will be like these here. I'm reading about spinning and I've signed up to take a course at the Victoria Fiber Fest on how to spin. Perhaps it's designed only for beginners, but I can pretend that I've never seen wool unless it's in yarn form before.

Speaking about socks, I made this delightful pair out of seaweed. Don't believe me? Have a look!


Well, okay, I mislead you. It's only partly made out of seaweed. In fact it's made of Sea Cell, an amazing means of processing seaweed. The yarn was far more expensive than I usually pay, but I was in a bit of a funk, and needed cheering up. What's more, it's Canadian produced (which makes me happy) and oh so silky. Produced by Fleece Artist from Nova Scotia, it is 115 grams of Sea Wool, 70% Merino, 30% Seacell, 350m/115g. It comes with a pattern for Bordello Socks, but after almost 3 months of complicated wedding gift knitting, I need a break and knitted up some stst socks (with plenty of yarn left over).

Even though, it's not the most creative sock in the world, I'll post the pattern on my Trampled By Geese Free Patterns so that you can get an idea of what can be done with this wonderful yarn. That is, um, that I will do it just as soon as I find my notes for what I did.

Now, it's my day off. I'm going to do laundry, bake three pies and knit like I have a looming deadline to finish this wedding gift.

No comments: