Saturday, June 02, 2007

eight

So, finally, my copy of Interweave Knits arrives in my mail box. I read my Knits in a very specific way. First, I spend two or three days just flipping around through the pages, stopping to examine something colourful or read the Web Watch or Knitted Artifact. Then, once the pure joy and excitement has settled down, I spend a few days reading every single word in the magazine from front cover to end. Then, for the third read, I read all the advertisement (again) from back cover to front. One magazine, three completely different experiences.



I only received it yesterday evening, so I'm still in the erratic style of reading. But, one thing that stands out so far, is Etsy. Amy Singer talks about Etsy in Web Watch. I've had a quick look around Etsy, and I am well pleased with it. Individuals selling to other individuals their own creations. I can hardly wait to purchase some of these delightful items. It got me thinking, what could I sell.

Spinning takes far less time than knitting, so I suppose, once I get the hang of it, I could buy local rovings, and turn them into yarn to sell. But that would have to wait until I become better acquainted with my wheel.

What about selling knitted objects? The thing is, I put a lot of myself into what I knit, that I very seldom knit for anyone else unless it's a very special person and a very special reason. I have so many projects I want to knit for myself, that I don't think I want to spend any extra time just now knitting for others. That is unless, I bought a knitting frame. But that's a dream for another day.

I could always do what I love, reproduce items from the eighteenth and nineteenth century using authentic materials and methods. But who would want that but me and half a dozen other people in the world?



There is one other thing I could sell online. Something environmentally friendly and good for the soul. I could sell Recycled Yarns. Yarns from sweaters that no one wants to wear any more. I could unravel them, skein them up and offer them. It would be a source of quality, eco-friendly fiber at an affordable price. But would anyone buy it?

No comments: