Thursday, July 26, 2007

thirty-nine

First and foremost - thank you to those who sent their condolences. It's appreciated.


I've been in a knitting funk the last few days. Injured fingers aside, every time I pick up my Kauni sweater or my Monkey socks, I just don't have the heart to do more than a few stitches before feeling overwhelmingly sad. You see, my 'darling' cat loved it best when I knit. That half hour or so every morning, me drinking coffee and knitting, her curled up beside me - that time every day was one of the few moments in the day when she looked 'happy'. She was a grumpy cat, a real pain in the ass. But she was my cat. And I miss having her.



I've got to find some way out of this funk. I've been spinning a bit.



The kool kolour kool-aid dye as singles waiting to be plied.



What I really want to do is to knit without feeling sad. Perhaps talking about the most beautiful sweater I've made so far will help - My Kauni:


I am making the medium size Kauni, with a seven (rather than thirteen) stitch steek. The last (and only time) I knit a sweater with steaks, I only had five stitch. Albeit, it was of a thicker yarn and I crochet the edge (which worked extremely well). I haven't decided how I will do these steeks yet, but I think an argument with my sewing machine will be involved.


The edge curls like the devil, I used the traditional long-tail cast on instead of the twisted German one they KAL recommended. I think if I were to knit this again, I would use a two colour gtst edge as it a) curls less and b) keeps more with the overall colour pattern.


The colour pattern goes green, purple, dark blue, light blue. Yarn A began at about the middle of green and yarn B began at the very beginning of dark blue. I not only staggered which colours they began at, but because of the long colour repeat, I staggered where I started in the colour length so that it would appear to change colour more often.


I've taken photos with the flash off and the flash on as the colours are quite muted and I don't know how it will display on your monitors at home.


That's about all I've got for now. Hopefully the knitting funk is almost over and I can get some more done on my Kauni soon.

4 comments:

Holly said...

So sorry to hear about your cat. Doesn't matter that this was not the nicest one in the world - you just landed in the category of "human without cat to run your life."

It takes a lot of adjusting. If/when you decide you are ready - check with your local animal shelter/human society - there is an adult cat there who is just waiting to whip you in shape (skipping over all the destruction of kitten to take the real destructiveness that only an adult can really manage - grin)

-Holly

Danielle said...

Oh I'm truly sorry to hear about your cat :( I lost two cats a few years ago, and still miss them from time to time. We just don't realize how much those little beings add to our lives. Hugs to feel better :)

On the up side of life, your kauni is really pretty. I like this color combo too :) I hope knitting can become a joy for you again very soon.

Miss Scarlett said...

Oh, it takes time to recover from a loss. Especially when you two enjoyed something so important together.

Your sweater is very VERY beautiful. I wasn't really into this Kauni thing, but I love your muted colour choice.

Did someone say 'knitting'? said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Nobody can say anything to make you feel better, I know.
I went through this a few months back and I still hurt when I think about it. You will at least have nice memories of her. X

Patrizia :)