Sunday, August 26, 2007

fifty-three

A very interesting find at a consignment shop this week.




I was zooming past on a city bus, on my way up to the university to have my student card renewed, when out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something so extraordinary, I wasn't certain if it was real.


I returned in the afternoon, and yes, I had seen an extraordinary thing. A spinning device - not a wheel exactly - but very interesting all the same.




It has a flyer and bobbin assembly, or mother-of-all (thing that makes twist and winds yarn onto bobbin) attached to an old cast iron sewing machine frame. Now I've seen photos of these before in magazines such as IK or National Geographic. And from what the caption says these are often made for large scale production of hand spun yarn. But I've never seen one in person before.




It came with a nid, a set of carders, lovely spinning books, some unwashed wool and some antique wooden shuttles. If I hadn't already bought my carders, it would have been worth her asking price just for them and the other accessories.


In the end, I didn't buy it. It doesn't work, and it needs a lot of love and attention before I would be happy with it. Besides, it's rather large for my apartment which is already crammed full of fiber and fiber related devices.

2 comments:

TinkingBell said...

Whyever would you not buy a thing of beauty like that? (This is from a person who bought a zither from an auction - 'cos it looked great - Can I play? Of course I can't.) Can I resist the strange beauty of this gadget? Course i can't!

~Tonia~ said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I have added you to my bloglines. :)

I have never seen one of those. It would of had to have come home with me. Heck you could have sold the carders and got your money back out of it. Wish it was close to me. I would so be there. ;)