Tuesday, September 04, 2007

fifty-eight

I did warn you, didn't I? I did warn you that once I received my Ravelry invite , it would consume me. I'm certain I must have said something to the effect. Because it's true. It has consumed me. I have been devoured by Ravelry. I'm just glad it happened before classes started.


Now that I've digested Ravelry (or should I say, it's digested me), I can return to blogging. That first infatuation is subsiding and I can now answer a simple question like, 'what would you like for supper?' with a responce other than 'shh... Internet....later....maybe.....(mumble mumble)'.



It was a bit overwhelming! But I don't think I'm going to talk too much about ravelry here. Some of you aren't 'in' yet and I don't want to make you feel bad like you are missing out some super-wonderful secret of life. You are not. It's just a lot of yarn, and yarn related things, and yarn related people. All gathered together in one wonderful place. But I'm not going to talk about that.



What I am going to talk about today is Badges! The ever wonderful Brenda, host of Cast On, the podcast about knitting. Yes I know there are other pod casts, I use to listen to several of them, but then stopped when I started riding my bike everywhere (you can't really cycle, listen to mp3 player and be safe). Lately I've started to listen to Cast On again, this time, while I'm spinning. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.



I'm hear to talk about badges!



I've earned four.




I talk about knitting. I talk about knitting to everyone. I talked about knitting to my stylist today. I talked about knitting to my boss. I talked about knitting to my friends. And I talk about knitting to strangers on the street. I suppose there are a few points taken off for referring to my Grandmother, but I do so only to mention that she taught me how to knit.






The Macgyver bag was earned on a camping trip. A friend of mine wanted to learn how to knit so we swiped some chopsticks from a Chinese takeout, and frogged (unsuccessfully I might add) a goodwill sweater to produce yarn. Then by firelight we tried to knit the tiny little bits of yarn we managed to selvage from the sweater. It was an utter failure due to mass manufacturing of sweaters which involves somehow cutting up the fabric to make it fit. But it was fun. We felt better for trying.






Knitting under the influence. It's rather a frequent occurrence, so there is no specific story I can share with you. Even now, I have a Guinness and a Kauni Cardie, and as soon as I finish this post, I'll combine the two activities.



I think I should get extra points for knitting while on T3s and other pain killers, not to mention knitting while under the influence of a very gripping TV programme (see this post). Neither of those ends well, but I soldier on non the less.






Ah math skills. Yep! That's me (sometimes). When I get my hands on a new pattern (even one that I would never, ever, ever, ever! knit) I will read through it with a fine tooth comb and a calculator. Just for fun because that's the kind of gal I am.






That's all I've got for now. I suppose I should design a new pattern and submit it to knitty.com so that I can earn my I've been rejected by a magazine badge. But maybe later.




Classes start tomorrow, that means that blogging will either be far less frequent or far more. We will just have to see how things go from here.

2 comments:

TinkingBell said...

Love the badges - definitely qualify for knitting under the influence and I think for McGyvers level 1 and 2 (and occasionally 3 but lets not talk about one of my bamboo needles being used for shasliks! Evangelical knitting - check! but I like the campfire story!

~Tonia~ said...

Yes ravelry is consuming for sure.

Love the badges. I just used a tooth pick as a cable needle this weekend. :)