Thursday, September 06, 2007

fifty-nine

The design said to spin 28g of fiber lace weight, then Navajo ply the yarn to arrive at just over 300 meters of scarf yarn. So I spun about 30 grams of fiber, in this case my Bamboo Mix, fairly thin, I Navajo plyed it, and I ended with about 88 meters of the most wonderful yarn. 88 meters is less than 300 meters. Something went wrong. There is not enough, I think, for a scarf.



Now, I've been told that at each stage of spinning, the colours of the fiber dull a little more. Yet, for some reason, these colours didn't fade, they grew in intensity. When I hand carded the fibers to blend them together, they almost seemed to shine with colour. When I spun the yarn, it glowed with impossibly bright yellows and greens. Once I plyed the yarn, it overcame me with it's unquenchable brightness. I suspect, it's too bright for me to wear as a scarf on its own anyway, but the way the finished yarn feels. It's soft, it's even, it slinks across your fingers, It's perfect!



There is just not enough. So, in the stash it goes for now. There will be something just right for it someday, I know.





My Montego Bay Scarf is well underway. It's almost finished actually. Another handspun creation (I like spinning). It's my first time knitting with handspun which isn't lumpy armature slub. It has properties that I've never known in any commercial yarn. I'm not certain how to describe it. I think if I had to try, I would say it's denser than commercial yarn. It slinks across the needles, but once it's formed into the knitted fabric, it softens. In a way it's as if before you knit it, it's all tense and waiting with anticipation. Then once it's finally in it's finished form, it relaxes and gets comfortable, put its feet on the couch as it were.





The Kauni is coming along, albeit, slowly. The scarf keeps stealing away my attention. I reach for the Kauni, and my hands pick up the scarf. But no matter. It is getting there.





I've also been spending time stealth spinning for Christmas presents. I know, I know, it's early! But I want to get them finished, and besides, it is an excuse to do more spinning. Here is one photo to tide you over, but you don't get any more until after the holidays. I picked up these Fleece Artist braids at the Loom.





Right, it's back to the books for me. Hooray for University being back in session.



2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

Oooo that spinning is so lovely. I love the colors.

Your hand spun scarf looks wonderful. I am sure that you are going to love it once the weather cools.

Pretty new fibers.

TinkingBell said...

Oh pretty pretty pretty - (the magoie in me wants to pick it all up and line my nest with it!) I certainly want to stroke it all - lovely - you're so clever!