Thursday, September 27, 2007

seventy-one

I had spun this kid mohair from Fleece Artist with the intention of knitting it into a Christmas present; however, when I was finished, it wasn't long enough. There are 140m for 50g after Navajo plying. It's still quite thin, but I think I will stick to wool. Besides, I find mohair rather scratchy.



I had the worst trouble trying to spin this super fine. It wasn't until the last hour or so of spinning the singles that I got the hang of how the mohair wanted to work. Besides, my Ashford Traditional isn't exactly designed to spin this fine so I had to continually negotiate with the wheel to make it work.



It took about a week and a half to spin. Since I am not using it for it's intended use, in my stash it goes.



The mohair shines in the light, and the colours seem to glow. I cannot capture the effect with the camera, but perhaps you can get the idea. Some of these photos are with the flash on, some with it off.


3 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

It is very lovely. To bad it didn't work out the way that you wanted.

Lauren said...

I think it is beautiful! I just bought kid's haze mohair today for a scarf. I hope the silk in it keeps it from being scratchy. Yours is fabulous.http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad.com/yarntalk/

TinkingBell said...

Aaaahhhh pretty!! Brings out my inner magpie!!!