The problem is the hem - it curls. Perhaps if I had one of those sweater blockers, I could handle it. But getting the iron out each time I want to wear it and steaming it flat just doesn't appeal to me. So I decided that the hem has got to go.
I finished one arm and put a two colour gtst cuff on it. When it came time for the cuff, I stopped knitting in the round and instead knit back and forth; two rows one colour, two rows the next. I think it turned out quite alright.
This is what the original hem would look like if it stayed uncurled.
It doesn't look much like a sweater yet, but it's getting there. At this rate, I might actually be finished by Christmas.
So, now that I've picked apart the hem, I can rebuild it according to my will. But that's a task for another day.