Monday, September 24, 2007

seventy

I stayed up to the wee hours re-watching House DVDs and deconstructing my Kauni.



The problem is the hem - it curls. Perhaps if I had one of those sweater blockers, I could handle it. But getting the iron out each time I want to wear it and steaming it flat just doesn't appeal to me. So I decided that the hem has got to go.



I finished one arm and put a two colour gtst cuff on it. When it came time for the cuff, I stopped knitting in the round and instead knit back and forth; two rows one colour, two rows the next. I think it turned out quite alright.



This is what the original hem would look like if it stayed uncurled.



It doesn't look much like a sweater yet, but it's getting there. At this rate, I might actually be finished by Christmas.




So, now that I've picked apart the hem, I can rebuild it according to my will. But that's a task for another day.

As for the Guild, sorry, they didn't teach me any handshake. Either there isn't one or I have to learn how to weave first. If there is one, I suspect it is something like the Knitters' handshake described by the Yarn Harlot in Cast Off - Where you stroke the person's finished object while admiring how well made it is.

8 comments:

Knitting Librarian said...

Good luck with the hem! Your Kauni's looking beautiful.

TinkingBell said...

Lovely Kauni - I so want to knit mine - but I refuse until I get a ball winder for those huge Kauni skeins!!! Looks beautiful - you're probably right about the handshake - but don't forget the noise which has to accompany it - a sort of 'OOhhh'!

~Tonia~ said...

How sad that the hem is curling. I hope it isn't too horrible to take out and fix. The sleeve looks great. It is all so lovely.

Micky said...

New episodes of House.
Finally.
:)

Holly of HollYarns said...

Hey Raven--I haven't forgotten you (re Destash Contest #2), I just have been super swamped at work. By this Saturday, your package shall be mailed--scout's honor!-Holly of HollYarns

Heather/SF said...

Hi Raven, it looks great!!!! I will keep your trick in mind when I get to the cuffs (of course I still have to cast on again, 3rd time..)

amy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
趙又廷Mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.