Saturday, October 27, 2007

eighty-three

You may think I have forgotten about knitting since it seems that all I've been blogging about lately has been spinning related. But I assure you, I haven't forgotten. In fact, I've been knitting up a storm. Most of the storm is secret, and therefore cannot be blogged until after the Christmas holidays. But I've finished all save one Christmas gift, I simply have to weave in the ends, block them and put them in a box. They turned out really nice, if I may say so myself.


My next post will most likely be all knitting, because I can only go so long without talking extensively about knitting. I think you will be impressed with how the Kauni is coming along, even with having to re-knit at least one button band.



The great thing about spinning is that when you spin, you make yarn which can be knit into things. For example, I spun some sock-like yarn out of some wool I picked up from the Cowichan Fleece and Fibre Fair.




It's pretty two ply spun woolen style. Because I spun woolen style (where the twist enters the fiber cloud) I didn't have as much control as I would spinning worsted style (inch-worm style) so it ended up being thicker than I had hoped. I think next time I spin woolen style, I won't bother to ply the yarn - that way I can have thinner yarn.


It's not very consistent either, but I made this yarn. And darn it all, I'm going to knit some warm socks out of it.



Speaking about sock yarn, I received my roving from Knitted to a T (Knits Galore). (See exception 2 of my no-yarn-for-me.) First off, I just want to say that the roving itself is gorgeous! Such an amazing colour combination, and being super-wash merino, it spins up like a dream - far easier than any fibre I've spun before! Check out her blog and her Etsy shop (links above), make certain you visit both as she doesn't always have the same things at both locations.



Now, this where I rant about the postal system: How exactly does "hand dyed roving" mean "illegal drugs"? I admit, I know virtually nothing about drugs or other illegal substances, so it could possibly be a euphemism for illegal substances. I am also glad that there are people out there keeping us safe from what ever evils travel by mail, but (and this is a BUT with a capital B), slicing a large cut through the package and almost halfway through it than badly taping it up again is rather annoying. It feels invasive at the least. One would think that when they determined that there was nothing wrong with my parcel they would have put one of those preprinted notes that talk about how they just want to keep the country safe from bad mail instead of just slapping some tape on it and sending it on its way. Lucky there was no serious damage to the fibre and I suppose all is well that ends well.

5 comments:

cedar said...

Hi \: I am writing from Hornby Island where I live, and read your post of Qualicum Bay Fibre works, and wondered where that is and if you can go there and buy retail. Also you refer to two mills in this area...I don't know of either of these can you let me know thanks...cedar

Raven said...

Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog. I’ll post this both in comments here and on my blog in case that someone else may be interested.

I know of two fibre mills on the islands, Qualicum Bay Fibre Works (250) 757-8844 or annarun at telus dot net (I don’t think they have a website) and The Gulf Island Spinning Mill on Salt Spring Island (http://www.gulfislandsspinningmill.com/). I know that both sell processed fibre at fibre fests around the islands, and I think that you can purchase some directly from them as well. I know you can take a tour of the one on Salt Spring most days.

(Note to my readers, I encourage you to go check out Cedar's blog - there are some amazing dyed yarns over there - dyed with mushrooms of all things. People are so smart.)

TinkingBell said...

Loved Salt ASpring island a million years ago BC (before children!) but didn't know about the spinning mill it was also BA - before addiction - or even BO before obsession)! Love the fibre and glad you used your rules well!

Miss Scarlett said...

Another exception to the yarn diet. Brilliant!

More and more fibrey goodness. Your yarn is excellent. The colour. I love it. Those will be cozy socks indeed.

your spinning terms lost me completely - the twist entering the fibre cloud - Eek. It is like a foreign language.

But I love that there is so much to learn. It's exciting.

~Tonia~ said...

Your hand spun is so pretty. That will make some wonderfully warm socks for sure.

I am glad that the roving made it, but the mail system messing with it really bothers me. I promise it didn't look fuzzy like that when I put it in the mail. Thanks for the glowing review. I hope that it spins up for you into some amazing yarn. I am excited to see what it looks like.

When you are finished spinning it if you would like to share the picture with me I would love to add it to a FO gallery of hand spuns. Then if you have plans to knit it I would love to add that to a FO knit gallery as well.