Tuesday, October 02, 2007

seventy-four

The postilion was very kind to me yesterday. Not only did he finally deliver my Spin-Off Magazine, but he also brought me something delightful.



Some fiber from Wooldancer (see Etsy shop here)



Now you are thinking, "what about my no-yarn-for-me pledge? Wasn't fiber on the list of things not to purchase?" It was, but, I bought this before my pledge began. The last order I got from Australia took only 10 days (that's faster than shipping from the other side of Canada) to arrive, but this one took a little longer. It took 21 days from when it was shipped. I have such a mixed relationship with the postal system; on one hand they bring me stuff, on the other they take their sweet time about it. They make me so angry sometimes....



But that's enough ranting, I need to look at some fiber to calm down.



It's all hand dyed bamboo. Can you believe how vibrint the colours are? It shimmers in the sunlight and it is as soft as moonbeams.



I also received two bonus fibers. They are a mix of all sorts of fibers including recycled sari silk. I especially like the purple one (moon river) and if it was not for this darn no-yarn-for-me pledge, I would see if Wooldancer would make up a big batch (around 4oz's or 100g) for me.



I wish I could have you all over for a fiber petting party (It's not as rude as it sounds, honest. We just drink wine/tea and pet fiber and yarn.) but I'm jealous and this fiber's mine! You will have to go get your own. While you are there, check out this delightful handspun yarn. Since I cannot buy it myself, I'll encourage you to buy it then tell me what you make with it.





My, you sure do have a lot of apples:



I have a lot of apples. Any suggestions? I was going to throw them at noisy people on the street outside my apartment, but someone told me that it is illegal. I need recipes. Preferably recipes for preserving (one can only eat so much apple sauce - especially when the cupbord is full of last year's). Most of the apples have worms inside, so storing those are out of the question and we will only dry the good ones. Help! There are more apples on the way!



PS. I already have about twelve (12) times the amount of apples I photographed.

6 comments:

Heather/SF said...

Hi Raven,

Your pretty apple picture caught my eye, gorgeous! since cooking is my main hobby, here is a recipe I made last night, and it's so good. I used four apples instead of two. Enjoy!

BAKED APPLE OATMEAL

1 1/4 cups old-fashioned or quick oats (not instant)
1/2 cup golden raisins (I used dried cranberries)
2 cups milk
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cooking apples, cored, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, mix together oats, raisins, milk, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Let stand 10 minutes. Coat a 2-quart casserole with a spray of canola oil. Stir apples into oat mixture and pour into casserole. Bake covered 30-35 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Serve with additional milk.

Yield: 4 servings.

Recipe courtesy of: Carolyn Hardimon, Belleville News Democrat)

~Tonia~ said...

Oooo look at all that lovely fiber. Yummy

I would say you can make some apple pies and freeze them. Hopefully you can find something to do with all those apples.

TinkingBell said...

You can stew the apples and freeze while only part cooked, or you can combine with vinegar, brown sugar, sultanas, spices and tomatoes or apricots or dried fruit and chili and make chutney! Yumm!!! - I make masses of apricot chutney and peach chutney every year - and yet it's always all gone by the time next autumn rolls around! Email me if you can't find a good recipe - bu apples make GREAT chutney!

~laurie said...

Last week i was up at my daughter's in Cedar where we made a f*cktillion jars of apple jelly. If you google
you can find tons of recipes.
Or here : simply thrifty has 51 apple pie recipes :)

http://www.simplythrifty.com/51-apple-pie-recipes/

Pictures of the wheel maybe tonight, plus i've been dyeing and got 57 back issues of spinoff to read yet lol
~laurie

Rhi said...

Apple pie! It's a lot of work, but a good deal of fun.

Miss Scarlett said...

I was going to throw them at noisy people on the street outside my apartment, but someone told me that it is illegal

That's too bad - seemed like a great plan!