Thursday, November 08, 2007

eighty-nine

The Hemlock Ring Blanket I am knitting for my G'pa is coming along swimmingly. I'm really happy with it.


The yarn isn't all that soft, but I know from experience it's durable and that it softens when washed. I don't know that my G'pa knows how to hand wash fabric, but I'll always be around to wash it if it gets dirty. I just really wanted to make it out of wool and superwash tends to be a little more than I can afford to buy in large quantities on a student budget.


I've included photos, one with a flash (more orange) and one without (more purple). The actual colour is somewhere in between, only different. If we ever have another sunny day, I'll take some better photos for you. I've run out of space on my needles, but longer ones are being shipped from elann.com and should be here today or at the latest tomorrow. They always have what I need in stock at elann.com, low shipping rates, fast shipping, and what's more, they are a Canadian companies who works in US dollars (extra bonus considering recent trends in currency). I somehow managed to not buy yarn from them this time around. Some books, yes. But no yarn.


I haven't been spinning much these days. My essay and Ravelry have both worked hard to consume anything that resembles 'free time' - and by 'free', I mean fibre. That's too bad because I haven't finished spinning up the superwash fibre I bought from the ever kind Knits Galore. I think I will keep the computer turned off as much as possible for the next few days so that I can focus on my studies/spinning/knitting and not get all mopey when I see yarn that I like but shouldn't/couldn't/won't buy.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Your Hemlock Ring blanket is looking wonderful! Good luck with your essay.

~Tonia~ said...

The hemlock ring blanket is so pretty. I am sure that he is going to love it.

Sorry that your fiber time has been consumed by other things. Hopefully you will be able to get back to it with time.

Thanks for the advertisement again. ;)

TinkingBell said...

Gorgeous blanket - love it (whatever colour it is!) you're worried/annoyed about the friehgt to Cnada - try the freight to Australia (even better try the freight inside Australia!!!)
I sympathise!

lv2knit said...

I love the Hemlock Ring!! I made three of them. I also put together a pdf of all the pattern parts and some photos, if you want to link to it on your blog. I did get Jared's permission to use his photos:

http://www.theraineysisters.com/ccount/click.php?id=7

Great gift for g'pa!