Tuesday, November 27, 2007

ninety-six

Snow fell from the sky yesterday. I had hoped it would come, but wasn't really expecting it. It's quite funny really, someone called me up and told me they weren't going out last night due to the snow storm. "Snow storm?" I thought, "what snow storm?" I looked out my window and sure enough, mixed in with the heavy rain was a smattering of snow flakes. We finally got snow even if it was only for a few minutes and even if it didn't settle on the ground near my home.

The weather here is very localized, and not only do we have the mildest climate in all of Canada, I live in the part of town with the most mild mannered weather. It's about 8 or 10 square blocks of town, but we get such moderate weather. You think it would be fun, but it's quite boring over the years. Less than 15 minutes drive from my house, snow covers the ground. Real honest to goodness snow, people! But no, not at my house. Here it's sunny and warm, not even a hint of frost when I got up this morning. C'est la Vie (if my french serves me correctly).

I would have loved a snow day today. I've so much to do, even without the massive amounts of studying that needs to be accomplished this week. I have only 5 or 6 more rounds of the Holiday Hemlock Ring blanket for my G'pa. It doesn't sound like much, but when you realize that as you knit it, it gets bigger (and thus each round gets longer) it takes longer to knit a round. It is looking very nice though and I'm excited about finishing it. I'll have to figure out how to block it - blocking lace can't be that hard right?

4 comments:

TinkingBell said...

Snow!! You're so lucky - we hardly ever have snow in Tassie - except up in the mountains - I still remember it snowing over the whole island on my flatmate's birthday one year - people skiied down the main street of Hobart and everyone except me got a snow day (I lived 2 blocks from where I worked!)

~Tonia~ said...

Oh I so want some snow. Now that James is old enough to really enjoy playing in it, it has made itself scarce.

Miss Scarlett said...

Seriously - that is considered a snow storm these days!

People are panicing and it is about 2"! Scary isn't it?

Sorry to hear you didn't get a snow day, but there are 2 more snow 'storms' in the forecast and surely their combined power could lead to a complete shut down of the Lower Mainland.

;-)

Miss Scarlett said...

On the news this evening they said, "Now that Northern BC has almost finished laughing at Southern BC's snowstorm..."