Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas at my work truly is a peace filled day.

I'm leaving the contest open a few more hours, until sometimes this evening when I get back from work, so if there is anyone out there that is absolutely desperate for the chance to win some yarn, this is your chance.




I worked Christmas Day. I volunteered to work, not because I get extra money, I don't, rather I like to work because of how lovely everyone is on the holiday. It's great to work there on the holiday. We have people visiting from all over the world. There are different cultures, different religions, and all sorts of differences. But it doesn't matter on Christmas Day at the Hostel. We cook a dinner that day, for all the guest who are spending the holiday with us instead of with their family. It doesn't matter what if they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Shinto, Pagan, or any other religion, they all really enjoy the day. The guests all pitch in and prepare the dinner together, then once it is cooked, they all tuck in. There is not complaining that this isn't a holiday they celibate, rather it's the chance to experience a friendly dinner with other people of different backgrounds. Many people who come have never celebrated Christmas before and I think this kind of dinner gives them the chance to experience the joyful, peace-filled aspect of the holiday. Christmas at my work truly is a peace filled day.




I'm off to work again today. As you have probably figured out I have my ups and downs there, most of it is wonderful, but I find some of the specific kinds of problem (people) solving difficult and exhausting. I'm not going until I've finished my...




...coffee.




In other news, life with House Guest is going exceptionally well. She is such a fun and interesting person. She is one of those rare individuals who help me to feel energized by spending time with her. I think I'm very fortunate that way, in the last few months, I've had lots of people like her in my life. They are inspiring and make aspire to be more like them.




I have given House Guest her gift, a little bag knit from Last-Minute knitted Gifts (Cabled purse by Mary Lou Risely) knit in Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino. I was amazed, not only did I get it knit in time for Christmas, but I also had time to block it. This book is amazing for gifts.




Yesterday afternoon was a craft day. Y came over and sewed, I ironed and knit, and House Guest and myself made something special which I'll show you once I have photos.




Wishing you all a wonderful day.




Don't forget to check out that contest, I'll post the winner here once I have a chance to draw the names.


3 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas. The bag is adorable. I am sure that House Guest loved it.

Miss Scarlett said...

Oooh can't wait to see what you made - love that fabric.

Beth said...

I love love love the fact that you celebrate Christmas at the hostel and that everyone who comes there from around the world has a great time.

There has been so much talk this year about how everyone is trying to not 'do' Christmas because it might offend someone. I think if I went to another country I would love to share their traditions, not get upset that they're still continuing them even though I'm there and don't celebrate them. Yay for you guys!