Sunday, December 16, 2007

Yarn shopping, the good and the bad

Well, I had one of the nicest yarn shopping experiences I've ever had yesterday. With House Guest on her way and with all my holiday knitting finished early, I thought I would knit her something for her holiday gift this year. I went to this little yarn shop I had never been to before. It was cozy, lots of yarn everywhere, with enough room to move around. A good balance of yarn and space, I'd say. The staff there were helpful and friendly. They helped me pick out a pattern, a pattern book, some absolutely scrummy yarn (scrummy being a cross between scrumptious and yummy - if you've watched Black Adder II, you will know what I mean), and some needles. It only took a few minutes and I left the shop brimming with good feeling that pure sensation of delight you can only have after a good yarn shopping experience.

It didn't last.

Like I said, the yarn was scrummy! I was quite excited because I've never used the recommended yarn for the pattern before, so I got out my swift and my nostepinne and sat in front of the TV winding my new friend into a ball. That went beautifully, the hand dyed merino practically sang like a choir of angles as it danced off the swift into my hands.

Then I went to cast on. The yarn behaved beautifully with no splitting or one stitch being too tight or too loose like. I looked at them sitting on the needles, all 72 stitches lined up there looking so sweet and well behaved, and I looked at the needle. The needle (a bamboo circular) was about 4" too long. I couldn't join in the round and I didn't have the double points around the house to work with either. An honest mistake, the shop keeper took a number 16" circular needle off the shelf instead of a 12". Disappointed that I was missing an afternoons knitting time, I put the stitches to one side and decided to go buy an Audi 12" 3.25mm circular needle the next day. "It's only a small setback," I said to comfort myself. It will be all better on the morrow.

With that in mind, I thought I would make good use of the time by flipping through the shiny new book I had purchased. I flipped through all these lovely patterns, discussions about colour, fibre content and yarn, and I thought to myself, "this books is a real gem, well done." Then I saw it. A small irregularity in the way the pages lined up. I looked again and I realized that some pages had been torn out of my new book. Someone had torn pages out of My Book!

I felt soiled. How could anyone think of tearing pages out of a book? What's worse, how could anyone think of tearing pages out of a knitting book? Even more flabbergasting, how could anyone actually do it?!? Someone had molested my brand new shiny knitting book and I didn't want it any more.

I don't really want to return it. The people at that shop were so nice and friendly, and I know it's not their fault that someone did a bad, bad thing. It's not fair, someone else did something wrong, and now I feel guilty about it.

Maybe it's that cause and effect thing, for every action there must be a re-action. Maybe for every negative action done, someone must feel guilty about it - only the world is so messed up that the person who feels guilty isn't always the person who does the bad, bad thing.

But I do know, if they don't have another copy of this book, I'm not going to ask for cash back like I would in any other shop. I'll ask for credit to buy more yarn with it, even if that means breaking my yarn fast.

How could such a great yarn shopping expierence turn so wrong?

(NB: yarn fast does not apply to gifts knit for other people)

6 comments:

Miss Scarlett said...

Oh that is so shocking - honestly, how does a person sink that low? There are free public libraries (and while it may violate some coyright somewhere) you could photocopy, or even write out the pattern.
To stoop to tearing it out of a book? In a shop? Some people are really nervy - and inconsiderate.

But don't feel badly about taking it back - the store likely has coverage for theft (no idea if it covers something so small -- but most books are about $40 so is it small?).

Sheesh.

TinkingBell said...

So awful -people like that need flogging with wet noodles - desecrating books - Do let the people know it happened - they can;t do anything otherwise and will know to be on the look out!

Michael said...

Hey, which yarn and book did you buy? Because there is a possibility that I sold it to you! (and now I feel bad that we didn't catch that, because that is a bad, bad thing!)

~Tonia~ said...

What?!!!!! Pages tore from your new book?!! I think that they need to know about it so that they can watch the customers more closely. Hopefully there aren't more books out there the same way.

You should have tried the magic loop or the modified verson where you just have 1 loop that you pull out as you run out of space, then you could have kept on knitting. ;)

Holly said...

Take the book back.

It is not a matter of insurance, depending on the source, the bookstore might be able to return it. The question I would have is as follows - was the book not properly bound, and pages never were there, did they fall out, or were they removed. Unless you have partial pages left, you can't count out the first two - and those are the publishers - not the store's issues.

Having had the needle issue more than once, I will tell you after enough years that you will have all the needles in all the sizes - and still not have the right size needle. Magic loop does not work well for me - I too would have waited for a new needle.

Raven said...

The pages were actually torn. If it was a publication issue, I wouldn't mind so much, those things happen. But you could see where the pages were torn from the book, which makes me think a 'customer' did the bad, bad thing.

Oh well, it's all sorted now.