Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I think it will revolutionized knitting as we know it.

Happy New Year!

I thought I would share with you a few things that have caught my eye of late.

First off, there is a fun little site called Transbuddha. It's a great way to entertain yourself during a particular dull work day or any time really. I especially like the online flash games they list. This article in particular caught my attention this morning.

Once you have finished playing with Transbuddha, check out KNC Knitting News. There isn't much on there that I didn't already know; however, it did lead me to this Japanese knitting for people who don't speak Japanese site. It has things like how to understand a Japanese pattern, free Japanese patterns, knitting and gasp, crochet, and links to all sorts of great references.

Feeling in the mood for something a bit more high tech? Check out KnitML. If you are on Ravelry, you can find them here as well. They have their very own group. Now, it's been about 10 years since I last attempted to program a computer, so it's a bit too much effort for me to learn all the details at this stage. I'm waiting for it to get a bit more user friendly first.

Basically, these intelligent people have decided to solve the age old problem of interpreting different styles of knitting pattern. People everywhere write knitting patterns differently, some of these differences are cultural and historical such as needle sizing or different styles of notation. What remains a constant in the world is that very few knitting patterns are written the same way - this is frustrating to most. KnitML is suppose to solve this problem. They translate the knitting pattern into this mark up language, then you can run it through an application, changing the settings so that the pattern is displayed how you want it (metric or imperial for example). Like I said, I haven't figured out how to make it go yet. I'm far too busy with other things like, um, knitting, to sit down and re-learn how all these programing things go. These days, I just want a button that says 'go' that I can click and it will make everything all better. Once it is a bit more user friendly, I think it will revolutionized knitting as we know it.

Just think, someone in Japan could design a pattern with this system, and people all over the world can access it in their own language, with no actual translation necessary as the program does all the work. A Francophone in Canada, a English speaking American, and a Finnish knitter can all instantaneously knit the same pattern thanks to this remarkable invention.

Ever wonder who links to your blog? I suppose you don't if you haven't got one yet, but if you do, check out Technorati Search. You just put the URL (web page address) in the search box and presto-chango, it tells you who has been linking to your site.

One last knitting related link for you. For those of you who enjoy admiring lace knitting, check this out. This Boy Knits is a local yarn lover and an amazing lace knitter. I wish I had his lace related skills.

That's all for today folks, I'm off to work, then hopefully, a nap.

1 comment:

~Tonia~ said...

Some great links Thanks!!