Sunday, January 27, 2008

It tastes really incredibly good, but dense

Blog Contest is still on, click here!



The Sweater is coming along well enough. Plane old stocking stitch in a dark colour isn't very photogenic, yet, so perhaps you could use your imagination and picture the first sleeve almost finished, looking for a change, very sleeve'ish. It makes me laugh a little bit to think that I am knitting this sweater during our cold snap (we have one about this time every year where the temperature hovers around freezing for a week or two) and not before the cold weather comes. I have a feeling that it is going to warm up considerably the day I have my sweater finished.



I was feeling better yesterday morning so I did some baking. I make my own sourdough bread and since I use wild yeast (sourdough starter captures yeast from the air, that's one of the things that makes it taste so good) and not store bought yeast, it takes a while to rise. When making your everyday bread, you first mix together some stuff, then you kneed it to make the stuff do their stuff. After that you set it to rise once. You kneed the dough again, shape it into, well, the shape you want the bread to be, and let it rise one last time before putting it in the oven. This can take anywhere from just over one hour to two days or more. Yet, over the entire process, it takes surprisingly little work: maybe 10 minutes of actual active participation on your part for the entire bread making enterprise. Everything else is a matter of timing.


Here is what happens if you forget to put the bread in the oven: Flat loaves.


It rose and then it fell and then it went into the oven. It tastes really incredibly good, but dense.



A few sites I've come across lately that I wanted to share with you.


Knot Magick is working on a project for peace. It looks like a lot of fun. She is looking for people to participate by making flags out of fibre using any method you enjoy (knitting, crocheting, weaving, felting, quilting, embroidery, tatting - are all examples she gives on her blog) and then send it in for her to sew up into a display. Click here for more about it.


As you know, I'm a huge fan of things that help the environment. When we combine eco-friendly activities and yarn, well, I'm all over it. Have a look at Hand Picked Yarn.


And last, but not least, the cutest (living) sheep I've ever seen. Can you imagine replacing your lawn mower with two of these babies? Lawnmowers put lots of nasty stuff into the air, so wouldn't it be a good idea if the city outlawed them and then provided the use of these sheep once a week or so to trim your grass? I bet they produce great fertilizer too.

3 comments:

TinkingBell said...

Lambs are very very cute - grown up sheep, are unfortunatley, stupid and irritating (but I love them anyway - a bit like my husby - only joking!!)
Bread looks great! Hope you're still on the up swing!

Sophia Rowan said...

Thanks for the support and the mention!

Holly said...

That's a great idea that store has. I've always thought it was a great idea, but in So.Ca, we eally don't have access to too many sweaters in our thrift shops.