Monday, January 07, 2008

knitting saints

This must be my year for learning new skills.


First, crochet. Then sewing up little fluffy animals (still working on that skill). Now it's time for me to learn how to repair knitting.




This time last year, I knit Y some socks for her birthday. Apparently, last month, she caught them on something and they began to unravel before she had noticed.




If it was the heel, I think I would be able to replace it easily - just undo the heal and re-knit. This I think will pose a bit more of a problem. So I got out my trusty darning mushroom...




...and this book.




What can I say about Mary Thomas? I think, we should have something like a hall of fame of knitters. Only, maybe more like a series of knitting saints. Even after they pass on to that great big yarn festival in the sky, they still manage to perform miracles. Their words and their wisdom continues to aid knitters in their darkest times of need. I believe that the spirit of people like Mary Thomas live in each and every one of us who has turned to her books for help. I honestly don't know what I would do without her.








In other news, the yarn for Y's hat is coming along nicely. I spun it woolen with a long draft in hopes of getting a nice lumpy, well textured yarn. It kind-of came out a bit even for what I was planing. Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers and I'm not good enough at this spinning thing yet to get the yarn I want; so I will use what ever yarn the fibre wants to be.




3 comments:

TinkingBell said...

Yes - I've learned to darn too - since I can't bear to throw away hand knitted socks!! My Crocs kept eating mine! I still have 2 pairs waiting for attention - which they will get sometime around autumn, when it becomes sock weather again!

Holly said...

That looks like a great book. Thanks for introducing me to it.

Nat said...

Darn socks. :)