Friday, February 08, 2008

Granola

So after that long walk in the cold, wet wind, and the cuppa tea accompaniment to knitting I had promised myself, I was up for a bit of baking.




Making my own food from scratch is the only thing that seems to help my health. I make everything from chicken stock to granola, from bread to soup, even the pasta in my trusty pasta roller. I'm even making my own house hold cleansers as the commercial stuff bothers me to no end and something as simple as doing the washing can send me to bed for days. It's very time consuming, but, more importantly, it is helping me to feel better. Of course I still eat poppadoms, but they seem to help so that's okay.




Yesterday was my day for making GRANOLA!





This recipe is inspired by Nigella Lawson. Now this woman is one of my heroes. There is something about her voice, her eyes, her hair that inspires absolute confidence in her cooking. I also find her body shape strangely sensual (is that normal in a hetero sexual young person?). Her recipes have that combination of good old fashioned English cooking that I crave and a modern excitement that I love.




I saw the recipe on the TV about a year a go. It's gone through all sorts of changes since then; I halved the quantity, changed several ingredients, &c.. I am not certain that there is enough of the original recipe left to call what I make 'based on' even, but that's the best thing about granola, it's so flexible.




As you can see my basic granola recipe card gets used quite often. At the bottom it says one cup of peanuts (I used almonds today).





I couldn't decide if I wanted to make it maple flavoured (mmmmm..... Canadian Maple Syrup) or cocoa flavoured so I opted for both.





First I put all the dry ingredients in the bowl and mix them up. Do you see those lushes cranberries there? They help give an immediate energy burst while we wait for the slower, longer lasting nut energy to kick in.





Add the gooey ingredients. Look at that golden syrup, I love golden syrup. I think in future I'm opting for more apple sauce and less syrup/honey as the granola always seems to turn out a bit too soft unless it I cook it an extra 15 min and burn the cranberries.





The real tricky part of this is not to get any sticky stuff on your camera while you take photos for your blog.



Mix it up and spread it thinly on a baking tray.





By thinly, I mean as thin as you can. Take the back of that spoon and spread it out as evenly as you can. The thinner it is, the crisper it will get. The more even it is, the easier it will be to get off the tray.




Put in oven, 300 degrees F for 40-45min.




When you take it out, NOW THIS IS ABSOLUTELY VITAL, you take a lifter and lift up the granola from the pan.





It should lift easily straight out of the oven. If you wait even two minutes, it will be hell to get off and even harder to clean. So just take a moment and lift up every bit of granola from the pan, mix it around and leave it to cool.





There you have it, yummy!

2 comments:

Marigold said...

When I make granola, I put parchment paper on the baking sheets. that way, I don't have to worry about cleaning the stuck-on granola bits. Your granola looks yummy, btw :)

TinkingBell said...

Oh Yum - I am so going to make that (but you can't get applesauce here, so I'll have to think of a substitute!)
I adore Nigella - It's so great to see a cruvy and voluptuous women in the media at all - I think that's why we find her so attractive - a woman who looks like a woman - and not a stick insect! Strangely - my husband likes watching ehr too - I wonder why that is? Hahahahaha!