Friday, March 28, 2008

Araucania: Ranco Multy yarn and the Victoria Sewing and Craft show

Given the cold weather we have had lately, I figured that maybe I should do my part to help usher in spring. So I cast on a sock number of stitches of Ranco Multy yarn by Arucania, a hand dyed yarn from Chile. Here's what the tag says:




Araucania Yarns is inspired by ancient Chilean crafts made from hand painted natural yarns.


My mother and I joined our talents and experience to create a company with the goal to introduce this traditional style to the world outside Chile...Each hank is different; its individual beauty emerges as the artisan blends colour in the kettle to create several unique shades.


I think the yarn has a beautiful story. I've been to Chile and this yarn reminded me of that country even before I knew where it came from. Chile is such a vibrant land full of wonderful people and knitting with this yarn brings back all sorts of memories.


I chose spring colours, because, well, we need more spring in these parts. The yarn knits up in a way that the fabric looks like you are gazing into a mountain lake, early, as you sip your cuppa tea while standing on the dock, on the first morning of your vacation. The yarn feels so soft, yet durable, just like the memory of a summer vacation.


There are some rich browns that remind me of the desert of Atacama, a place which truly has no equal to its beauty. I'm tempted to bring home some of this to knit during the summer.


Fun Knits (who is in town today and tomorrow at the Sewing and Craft show) has a whole slew of this yarn on hand in lots of lovely colours. There is a lot of things going on in the show, so many booths, so many things to see. If you get a chance, come on down.

2 comments:

Holly said...

That is so not fair, to be all tempting. Have you considered a career in advertising.

curlysalamander said...

It was great to see you today! It was pretty intense. I'm glad you made it through o.k.