Saturday, March 22, 2008

Honeycomb by Sarah Castor

So, I've been obsessing over the pattern Honeycomb ever since it came out on Knitty. I'm such a sucker for a classic style vest that I can wear over a blouse. The stitch pattern looks like a huge amount of fun to knit. Everything about this vest is calling me to knit it.

The pattern calls for Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, and although I adore this yarn, my wallet doesn't. So, I've decided to try for spinning a substitute. I have some silk alpaca I picked up in Cowichan (from the Qualicum Bay Fibre Works (one of two local fibre mills and processors in the area)) last fall that would be perfect. Only two things stand in my way. First, I have never spun a substitute successfully before and second, I only have about 8oz of this fibre which may or may not be enough for the vest.

To solve the first problem, I turn once again to knitty and an article on how to spin a substitute. I don't know if I am good enough at spinning yet to make it work, but I am going to have fun trying. This card I made up with a sample of the recommended yarn and a sample of what I need my spun yarn to be. I keep this next to me while I am spinning so that I can keep myself on track by checking my yarn against it every so often.



As for the amount of fibre, I think that it should be sufficient, but only just. I'll see how much it spins up to be, then decide if I will still knit the vest with it.

4 comments:

Josiane said...

Trying to spin a substitute in order to knit something that truly calls you is most certainly the way to go! I have yet to try that too, so I'm looking forward to reading more about your experimentations and your progress on this project.

Holly said...

You can do it.

And if it is not exactly the same when you are done (yes, you are going to have to knit a gauge swatch), then adjust the pattern to match the swatch!

~Tonia~ said...

I have my fingers crossed that you will have enough to knit that adorable vest.

Happy Easter

Sarah L. said...

I say it again, Wow.