Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Motivational gardening

You remember I was talking about my dream job earlier in the week. I still haven't found a way to make it happen yet, and with spring hard upon us (yes, even if it went down to freezing last night) if I didn't start now, it would be more than difficult to do a proper garden this year. It would be possible, but one would miss out on the early crops of spinach, peas and other spring vegetables.

A twist on this theme would to become a motivational gardener. Perhaps people want to keep their own vegetable garden or small orchard but just don't know where to start or what to do. I could do personal training for new home gardeners. I would come to their home and teach them organic methods of pest control and when and where to plant what, help give them hints on what they are doing right and how they can improve... I think it would be fun. Not as much fun as doing it all myself, but satisfying.


I think my trouble is that I've become quite shy over the last few years. I don't know how this happened. I can still be outgoing and forthright when I need to be, but I don't jump into new situations like I use to.

4 comments:

Josiane said...

That's also a very good idea! I hope you'll find a way to make it work.

TinkingBell said...

Love the carder and wheel (lucky you - wish I could spin, but I really need another obsession about as much as I need a hole in the head!) Motivational gardener - or personal garden trainer are both great ideas - though about abvertising or flyleafing local areas - my memory suggests Vancouver Islanders are fairly proud gardeneres (and proud of their gardens - you may have found a niche to fill!)

curlysalamander said...

I keep thinking about gardening, but I think that even if we manage to fence out the deer, the bunnies would do it in. At least that was the experience of a neighbor who took it quite seriously. Also, I may have a line on some free bags of raw unprocessed wool. If this is of interest, drop me a line.

Robin said...

I say go for your dreams! You'll never know until you try. Love the new drum carder - what a handy dad you have to fix it up for you.