Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Pat Green Drum Carder




The second find that I wish to tell you about is a drum carder.




I don't know if you can tell from that photo, but when I first brought it home it was in pretty dismal shape. It had been left out in the rain and stored in a damp garden shed so there was rust everywhere, all the moving bits refused to move, spiders mounted a brave defense of their home in the carding cloth when we tried to take it out of the shed, and the plywood drive wheel for the smaller drum was delaminating at an alarming rate. The only thing it had going for it is that it had all its parts.




Because it was so sad looking, the wonderful woman who sold me my Quebec wheel (and something else I'll tell you about later this week) refused to sell me this. Now I was willing to pay a fair bit of money considering I have been saving up for a drum carder for some time. Not to mention, it was a Pat Green Carder, albeit an old one. Even if the carder didn't work, I could still fiddle around with it and see if I could figure out how it was suppose to work. This darling woman gave it to me instead and refused to take money since it was looking so pitiful. I could have just kissed her.




Well, as soon as it came home, my dad took it apart and did his magic.




He cleaned every little bit, removing rust and spiders from everywhere he could, and glued together the delaminated plywood with magic wood-go-together-glue (wood glue). Once all was dry (the next day) he applied the Tried & True, a all natural wood finishing product from Lee Valley. We use the one that is food safe for our antique tables &c. and it conditions the wood without adding or subtracting from the patina. It's a very durable finish, but it requires a bit of work to apply.




On the third day the magic was complete. Everything got put back together again and it was time to try out my new, used carder.




It worked marvously well and has been in constant use transforming these Romney locks....




...into these lushes batts.




6 comments:

Josiane said...

It's a great thing you could see the potential lying under the layers of rust, dust, spiders, and everything! This last picture definitely proves you were right in believing that something wonderful could still come out of this carder!

Nat said...

That is the niftiest contraption. And your dad is quite amazing, btw. :)

Lis said...

I just bought a PG drum carder from e-bay. But the licker in does not turn.Do you think the belt is too loose? I know that is hard to dechiper, but from the picture of your drum carder, your belt looks to have no slack. If I take the belt off I can turn the licker in by hand. This is my 1st carder and I anxiously awaited it's shipment, only to be disapointed. I guess I can call the PG phone # tomorrow!!!
Thanks
,Lis

Jude Pilote said...

Yours looks like the Twin of the one I just bought, in the same condition.. Plus I also got a Picker at the same time.. both needed a lot of work, but well worth it. How did your dad get the rust off the arding cloth??

Jude said...

Hi, I bought one that was a twin to yours in the same condition + a Picker. Both in rough condition, but well worth the work. How did your dad get the rust off the Carding cloth?

raven said...

I ran some free wool through it a few times, until there was no longer any rust coming off on the wool. There are still a few rusty bits, but it doesn't effect the way the carder functions.

I think that if I had put some WD40 on the sacrificial wool, then it would get the rust off easier.

Good luck. Happy carding.