Monday, April 07, 2008

Honeycomb and Kant

I wrote three large essays in three short hours last night. It was my take home Kant exam and it required two pots full (or six mugs full) of very strong tea in order for me to complete it. But I was very lucky, I finished it in less time than I thought I would - with enough time left over to watch the final part of Sense and Sensibility and enough energy (due to the absurd amount of caffeine I had just consumed) to ply the remainder of my alpaca-silk singles.


Now that it is all spun and all plyed, I have 619 meters of yarn just perfect for knitting Honeycomb. Well, almost perfect. You see, I need 700 meters for the size I want to knit. I don't have enough, but I'm out of fibre. This makes me sad.


I should have gotten the right amount, at least I think that I should have. I had the same amount of weight (actually a little bit more) than the recommended yarn called for, so if I spun the same thickness, shouldn't I get the same length? Not almost a hundred meters difference? It is possible that I miscounted the yardage (meterage?) so I'll go back and count again... no luck. It's still the same amount. Maybe alpaca weighs more than wool so that if I spin the same weight to the same thickness it comes out shorter? I don't know.


So, what are my options? I could give up on the vest (doubtful), I could spin something else in a different colour and knit the hem and the edges with it (don't really like that idea either), or I could wait a week or so until I have the chance to visit the mill that produced the fibre to see if they have any more in stock. I think I'll go with the latter and in the mean time I'll work on some of the other projects I have on the go.


I do really want to knit this vest, but I don't want to start unless I have enough yarn to finish it. In the mean time, I'll wash the rest of my skeins (and my swatch, thanks Holly), then put it to one side and work on something else until I can find a solution.

5 comments:

curlysalamander said...

I think it might be very elegant with the edges in black.

Michael said...

Ooh, I hope you can get more, because that is an awesome vest! Have you called the mill to ask if they have more?

Josiane said...

I hope you'll be able to get more of this fibre! If not, I hope you'll find a solution that you like.

TinkingBell said...

I think you are showing great self control by going to the mill - I am totally immature and would be spending time telling myself that lime green, ot bright yellow or something else I had in my stash would look great! - You way is much better!

Holly said...

I would wait as well.

Your other option - should no more be available would be to knit the back in stockinette since it takes up less yarn....

wash the swatch. or wash the skeins. if you wash the yarn first you are going to need to reknit that swatch (pull the puppy out and reknit - don't use up more yarn).

you can also calculate the amount of yarn you used for the area of the swatch and look at the area of your sweater. you might just have enough yarn....