Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Positive things

I had a post all planed out yesterday where I talked about waiting areas. About how much time I've spent in medical waiting areas over the last few months, about how funny it is when the receptionist has squeaky shoes, and about how annoying it is when someone spends over 50 minutes filing her nails in the chair right beside you and pretends to not speak English when you tell her it's not appropriate even though she spoke perfect English to the receptionist when she entered. I was also going to rant about people who are stupid enough to wear perfumed (that includes male products like aftershave) products into medical buildings when they have been designated scent-free places for almost ten years now....

But then I realized, that's not a very positive thing to post about.

Actually, I'm in rather a grumpy funk right now so I'm going to post about things that make me smile and with any luck, I'll be in a much happier frame of mind at the end of it.


So here we have it folk:

Things that make me smile!

  • Morning coffee. I love to start my day with a cuppa coffee and reading blogs and Ravelry, or simply browsing through knitting patterns.
  • That the surprises just went up on Knitty this morning (or last night, but I don't have my computer on in the evening so it might as well have been this morning).
  • Free Fleece! I should say free fleeces as I received more free fleece over the weekend. Thank you ever so much. I think I have enough wool in my house to last me quite some time.
  • Spinning makes me smile because it is an affordable way to increase my yarn stash.
  • Projects that knit up fast with stunning results. On the weekend I saw this most amazing vest called a Rib Warmer (Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern). It was so simple and elegant that I completely fell in love with it. I've also been working on several pairs of socks lately, most of them knee high socks, and I felt it was time for me to knit something that, how should I put it, showed results faster. Now, I love socks, I knit lots of socks and always have a few pair on the go, but...well...um...

DUKE Envy me? Tell me, Major, are you fond of toffee?
MAJOR Very!
COLONEL We are all fond of toffee.
ALL We are!
DUKE Yes, and toffee in moderation is a capital thing. But to live on toffee - toffee for breakfast, toffee for dinner, toffee for tea - to have it supposed that you care for nothing but toffee, and that you would consider yourself insulted if anything but toffee were offered to you - how would you like that?
COLONEL I can quite believe that, under those circumstances, even toffee would become monotonous.
DUKE For "toffee" read extra fine yarn, itty bitty needles, and slow to form fabric... (slightly modified quote from Gilbert & Sullivan Patience, see also this short clip, the quote is about 4:25min in from start)

So, even though I adore knitting socks, even I need a break from them every now and again. So I cast on for the Rib Warmer and it is knitting up wonderfully quick. Hopefully this act will be taken as flattery (rather than strict imitation) as it is a really nice vest and after I saw how good it looks in real life, I feel inspired to make one for myself.

  • Elizabeth Zimmerman. I think I've said this before, but if there were saints for knitting, EZ would be one of them. I can just imagine it now, little plastic bobble-head statues of her mounted on knitters' dashboards everywhere. Medallion stitch markers for luck and inspiration adorn needles around the world. Of course she wouldn't be the only knitting saint, but I think she would have the largest following.
  • The word 'housewife'. Pronounced Haz-if (rimes with "az if"), it is a traditional English word for small, personal sewing or needlework kit. Usually contains, sharps (sewing needles), blunts (darning needles), scissors, thread, pins, and other small, useful items which vary from individual to individual. Mine lives in an old Altoids tin.

3 comments:

Josiane said...

Yay for a great list of things that make you smile despite all the time you had to spend in medical waiting areas!

TinkingBell said...

I love chatelaines - a little belt hook from which hangs keys, scissors, thimbles and all the bits and bobs a women needs in her day while doing stuff - later, of course, came to mean the woman in charge of the place, because she wore it!

sarsbar said...

Looking forward to seeing your Ribwarmer! Though if it comes out like your other projects, it'll put mine to shame. :) You do make some beautiful things.
Those little kits are so useful... and I can't find mine since the weekend. Oh well... it'll turn up. It always does.