Saturday, April 05, 2008

Swatching Honeycomb

I made yarn.



I still find it hard to believe that I have the skill to make yarn. It is a magical process that turns formless fluff into that most vital ingredient for life: yarn.


Half a pound of alpaca-silk roving filled two bobbins from my Quebec wheel. Thing is, I only have one bobbin for that wheel. Once the first bobbin was filled, I set up my Ashford wheel so that it would wind the yarn from the Quebec wheel onto the Ashford bobbins. Sounds a bit complicated, I know, but by putting the tension on the Ashford wheel tight enough that it wouldn't add any twist into the yarn, just wind the yarn onto the bobbin, it worked really well. One Quebec bobbin fills up one and a half Ashford bobbins, so this isn't something I want to be doing very often. I think the best solution is to find someone (in town) to make me a few new bobbins for the Quebec wheel. But all in all, it went well.


I plyed up 50 meters or so of yarn, washed it, and swatched it. Can you imagine how surprised I was to see it knit to gage in the recommended needle size?



I've been carrying the swatch around with me all day to see how it wears. The alpaca blooms a little bit but overall, the fabric feels softer with wear and tear. All that remains now if for me to finish plying the rest of the yarn.


So my yarn passed the first test: the test of gage. That makes me happier than I imagined it would. The second test is the test of length. Did I make enough yarn? If not, what am I going to do about it?

6 comments:

TinkingBell said...

Hi I;m back and your spinning looks absoluteluy gorgeous (and you've given me yet ANOTHER pattern for my Rav queue!!

And thanks for the Kauni links - love curly salamander's and that petternw ould be more flattering to - well - me!

carla said...

That's going to be a great vest!

Brenda said...

Wow Raven, pretty impressive! I hope to spin like you one day, but I have a longggg way to go. Check my blog in the next little while though for (tonight or tomorrow) for something that will make a big change in my spinning, once I get the hang of it.

Hanane said...

I love your yarn!!!! Beautiful. I put a spinning page on our blog now so you can see what I am spinning. I will update soon with yarn I made. It is amazing how you can take clumps of fluff and turn it into yarn. WOW!

Holly said...

Your yarn and swatch look lovely.

Now, on to that last step .... wash and block your sample. Sometimes things look a bit different, including alpaca-silk

Josiane said...

Your yarn is beautiful! How great that it knits up to gauge! You obviously did an awesome job at replicating the Silky Wool.