Friday, May 02, 2008

challenging

I've finally come to my senses - knitting a large, complicated sweater on, 3.5mm needles, in 17 days (as per the Knitting Olympic trials) is not a good idea. In fact, I suspect it would put me (or someone I love) in hospital. So, I need to re-think what project I want to knit. I want to knit with stash yarn, and I want it to not take over my life completely (in other words, I want to be able to sleep at least once during that two and a half weeks). Perhaps, for my Knitting Olympic Trials Experience (KOTE), I will dig out all my UFOs (most of which are stalled on the sewing up stage) and aim to finish them all off during that time. It's going to be very challenging (have I mentioned how I do not like sewing up knitted garments?) but I think, with a great deal of effort, I can pull it off. It will feel rewarding to do so much in such a short period of time.


(Oh, by the way, I realized I spelled 'team' wrong yesterday, but when I re-read the post, I thought it was funny. I got this image in my head of Canada teeming with all sorts of knitters knitting away as fast as they can in an attempt to complete their knitting challenge. It made me laugh, so I kept the spelling mistake.)



As for Rhubarb dyeing (Hope I got the spelling right this time around - lol), I still haven't found a dye pot that I'm happy with and can afford. They are surprisingly expensive! The one I liked best so far was on sale for $120.00 CDN. How crazy is that? I have no intention of spending more than $15 on a pot, at least not for my first time dyeing, as I don't know how much I will enjoy it and it seems like too steep an investment just to try it out. But rhubarb is in full swing now, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to dye with the leaves later on in the summer.



Busy day today so I had best get on with it. I'll leave you with a taste of what I've been up to this week...


...spicy!

1 comment:

Josiane said...

There's a lot of spicy-ness in that little bowl!
Finishing up your UFOs during the Knitting Olympic trials will be a great challenge, but certainly a very satisfying one!
With garage sale season coming soon, maybe you'll be lucky and will find the perfect dye pot for next to nothing. Or ask around: someone you know may want to declutter their cupboards and get rid of unused pots...