Monday, May 26, 2008

Knitting in Public (KIP)

Yarn Sale: One of my local yarn shops (LYS), Boutique de Laine, is having a sale starting today. Huge sale with discounts from 40% upto 70%. I really, really, really want to go as this is my favorite shop within an hours journey of my home and situated at the most beautiful Estevan Village. But I must resist the call of yarn. I must not go to the sale.


Now, back to the blog.










Knitting in public (KIP) is always a fun pass-time. It is even more enjoyable when a bunch of you gather together in a park next to the ocean on a warm sunny day. The cool breeze off the water prevents the wool from getting too hot to knit and a collection of towels and lawn chairs makes for a comfy afternoon of yarn and friends.




All in all there were 20 knitters, 3 kids and 3 husbands including this adorable little fellow (a newly finished object himself) wearing a pumpkin hat his mother just finished knitting for him.




I brought my lunch in my Tiffin of course and some knitting (BC Socks),




and others brought show and tell. What a beautiful afghan made from Noro. I might just have to knit something like that one day. Now, to win the lottery, then I could knit as much as I like (and afford to go to that sale).




It was a wonderful experience to sit in the park and knit with like minded yarn lovers. The kids and husbands running around playing in the park or swimming in the ocean. It felt like a community of old where everyone knew each other and did things together. Well, perhaps an idealised version of a community of old, but nonetheless, it felt safe to be there and that is a really nice feeling.




You can read more about the park-knit here, or learn more about the BB's (the local knit group) here.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds like a very lovely day. I did some outdoor knitting myself this weekend (albeit solitary) and it really is wonderful, knitting with the smell of fresh air and the sun shining down.

teabird said...

I feel the same way when I knit with my friends - as if I'm doing something ancient and lovely.

Josiane said...

Sounds like a wonderful afternoon!

marydotmusic said...

I'm glad you had a good time! You are always welcome to join us anytime when you can make it - and we'll definitely do parknit again!