Thursday, May 01, 2008

Knitting Olympics 2008, teem Canada!

I think I'll have a go at the Knitting Olympics this year.

From what I understand, you challenge yourself to start and complete a project within the 17 days from when the Olympic torch is lit until it is extinguished at the closing ceremony. I'm told that the Yarn Harlot organized the knitting Olympics last time around, and it looked like people really enjoyed themselves. There is even a Ravelry group for it - The Knitting Olympics.

Unless I am completely off the mark, the games are not until August. That should give me plenty of time to spin up some yarn for the Tangled Yolk Cardie. It will be a real challenge to knit this in just over a fortnight, but I think I'm up for it.

If anyone has any information on Teem Canada or the Knitting Olympics in general, please let me know. It's my first time.



Correction: I've just discovered that this year's Olympics will not be the official Knitting Olympics as that takes place during the Winter Olympics (which makes sense, since hours on end working with wool is not the best way to spend hot summer days). Rather, this year is the Knitting Olympic Trials where we test ourselves under the same conditions, but are awarded no medals at the end. I'm just in it for the knitting, so I'm still in.

The next Knitting Olympics will happen in 2010, when the Olympic games will be held in Vancouver, BC, Canada (aka, next door to where I live).

3 comments:

Josiane said...

That's going to be a great challenge!

marydotmusic said...

And just as any Olympic sport, they are only held once every 4 years, so the Official Knitting Olympics is a winter sport and will be held in 2010. :)

I participated in the '06 one and I tried my hand at my first lace project, the branching out scarf from Knitty. It was totally fun and I was just at the very beginnings of becoming truly addicted to knitting. For 2010, I want to make a sweater. Maybe a fair isle, maybe steeked. We'll see. :)

Good luck at the trials!

Don said...

Hello,

May I suggest a link related to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games?

Our site:

URL: http://www.2008chinaolympics.com
Title: Beijing Olympics

Please let me know if you want a link back.
Many thanks for your reply.

Best Regards,

Don
chinaolympics8@gmail.com