Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Spice (and other Mediterranean foods) shopping in Victoria, BC, Canada

Let me tell you wonderful Victoria-ites, where to go for Mediterranean foods and other spices.

  • My number one most favorite shop in town is Lakehill Grocery, 3949 Quadra St, Victoria BC, V8X 1J5, at Quadra and Reynolds run by a fellow named Yasser. When I enter the shop he always greets me with a big smile and a huge, "Hello, my friend." This place is excellent for every-day spices, yummy canned goods, dates, olives, and if you love cheese, you really need to go here. The shop is 'jam' packed full of Mediterranean foods, including jam. There are a few frozen meats, but aside from the cheese almost everything is vegetarian (and quite a bit of vegan in the mix too).
  • About a block north on Quadra, there is an Indian food shop. This place is full of Indian spices, some fresh vegetables, huge bags of onions which appear to be always on sale, rice, and some home made Indian snacks. This place is a bit daunting if you don't know what you are looking for, but once you get use to it, it has a wonderful charm.
  • The Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Shop on Pandora is on the north side of the street about half way between Vancouver and Quadra. I didn't have much time to spend there, but from what little I did see, there sure were a lot of spices! The shop just goes on and on and on, like some sort of distortion in the space-time continuum. It looks tiny on the outside, but once you get in there, it is so big. I can't wait to go back and top up the rest of my spice rack.

I love supporting local shops. Take my friend Yasser (from the shop at Quadra and Reynolds) for example; he always puts money back into the community and has such a generous heart to the people around him. I would rather give my money to someone like him who I know will keep it in the community than to give it to some faceless big business that is too greedy to give back to the community.

If you can think of any other shops like this in town, please feel free to tell me about them.

Today, I'm off to buy a food processor so that I can make some yummy (vegan) snacks for tomorrow's road-trip.

Edited for spelling and to put the correct name on the shop.

2 comments:

Josiane said...

Those sound like great shops! I'm lucky to have several little neighbourhood shops like those around here, and I'll miss them a lot once I move to a different city.

Robin said...

I love the shop on Pandora as it is near my home. I think it is called Blair Market. The owner is so nice and always gives out a little sample to snack on while you shop. The "eating" feta cheese is really good and the humous is to die for.