Sunday, May 25, 2008

Upcoming fibre and yarn events for Victoria and Vancouver Island

I thought I would let you know of a few local (Vancouver Island) yarn related events coming up next month.




  • Saturday, June 14th is WORLD WIDE KNIT IN PUBLIC DAY - If you live in Victoria, come down to lawns City Hall (big red building at the corner of Douglass and Pandora, or as I think of it, one block down hill from the Beehive yarn shop) any time between 1 and 4pm. Bring your knitting, show off your yarn, and share with the world what a wonderful activity knitting is. Bring a lawn chair, some water, and your knitting.

  • Speaking of Knitting in Public, the Victoria Fibre Festival and Knit-Out will take place on June 20-22nd. There is a dinner and fashion show Friday night. There are all sorts of classes on Saturday (did I ever tell you how the beginner spinning class I took last year changed my life?) and a yarn crawl when the local yarn shops open "their doors, throwing out the welcome mat, and offering refreshments to fibre fans who come to visit." And, as if that wasn't enough yarn for you, on Sunday there is the Knit-Out at Saxe Point. I'm told there will be vendors. If you haven't been to the Knit-Out before, or even if you have, I highly recommend it. It will happen rain or shine, so bring some knitting, spinning, weaving, crochet, or other yarn related activity. There will be lots to do, there always is.

  • If you can't get enough knitting, the Cowichan Valley Museum is hosting an exhibit called Knitting Together which runs May 2nd to October 18th, 2008. I haven't been yet, but it looks very interesting. As, perhaps, you know Cowichan is very famous for their sweaters (sometimes called Salish Sweaters).

(this sweater was knit by my G'ma in the Cowichan style)

1 comment:

TinkingBell said...

What a gorgeous jumper!! Aren't you lucky - this lovely oper air knitting - while we're hunkering down in front of a fire for ours!!!!