Monday, May 19, 2008

Victoria Highland Games


It is said that there are non more Scot than the Scots abroad. Attending the Highland Games, it seems to me that this is a very apt observation. It is as if someone took all the best parts of what it means to be Scottish, put it in a stew pot and rendered it down until only a thick essence remains, then took a great big butter knife and spread this Scottish stew all over the park. It may seem a strange description, but once you realize that one, I like stew, and two, I think that Scotland is one of the nicest places in the world, becomes quite beautiful.



There were more clan tents than you could shake a caber at, pipe bands, dancing, military reenactments, cannons and musket fire, and a collection of spinners and weavers (aka, us) out enjoying the day. The park was filled with people, and at almost every moment there was a considerable que to get in the gate.






Can you believe they have been doing this for 71 years and it's still going strong?

I brought my walking wheel to the demonstration. It is still a bit tetchy from not being used for so long but A Rose managed to get it working quite well.




A little while later Mr. Kitten had a go on it and between the two of them, they managed to produce quite a bit of yarn.




As for me, I was playing with my new Hound Dog drop spindle and a wee bit of merino-silk blend I bought from Hummingbird (both local purveyor of fibre and yarn related goodies).








4 comments:

Josiane said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Your new spindle and the singles you have on it are lovely!

Kathy said...

I loved reading all about the Highland Games. And I love love love the periwinkle yarn you are spinning.

carla said...

I love that wheel!

Beth said...

I wanted to go to the Games but hubby wasn't into it! So sorry I didn't...next time I'll leave him behind! :-) I liked your description of spreading the stew all over the park!