Friday, July 04, 2008

500 and the Tour de Fleece 2008

This is officially my 500th post since starting this blog. I think that's pretty amazing.



The Tour de France begins tomorrow and so does the Tour de Fleece (ravelry link).

The idea, as I understand it, is while those brave people are cycling around France dressed in vibrant colours, we challenge ourselves to spin something extraordinary. For me, I have a pound of red fibre that I really want to turn into a sweater. Just spinning that much yarn into singles in such a short period of time is a huge challenge for me, and if I manage to ply them as well, just think of that as an added bonus.

I'll be spinning for the Vancouver Island Fibre Lovers group on Ravelry - team name yet undetermined. If you live on or around Vancouver Island (we include the wonderful surrounding islands of our archipelago in the group) and would like to participate as a member of our team, but are not on ravelry, feel free to do so though my blog. I understand that their might be prizes, but I'll talk more on that later.

You can read about last year's Tour de Fleece here and as I understand it, the guidelines are the same for this year's event, only the dates are different.

To quote the ravelry group for this year's challenge:

Guidelines (NOT RULES):

Spin every day the Tour rides, if possible. Saturday July 5th through Sunday July 27th. Days of rest: Tuesday July 15th, Monday July 21st. (Just like the actual tour)

Spin something challenging Wednesday July 23rd. (The last hard climbing mountain stage in the Tour - the famous L’Alpe-d’Huez)

Take a button if you want one. Then we can use the button on our blogs in show of solidarity. Take it from here or grab a clean one from the flickr pool. Come join
the flickr pool!

Wear yellow on Sunday July 27th to announce victory. Why not wear yellow on any day you feel particularly successful? (Yellow is the color of the race leader in the Tour - but here we are all ‘race leaders’)

Other colors if desired: Green (sprinter - think FAST), Polka-dot (climber - as in
uphill), and white (rookie)



This will be my first year watching the TdeF, so I'm rather stoked. I've always wanted a good excuse to watch it.

I don't know how well I'll do, but the idea is to challenge myself. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

Good luck with that challenge! I'll be here cheering you! I'm looking forward to following your adventures at the Tour de Fleece.