Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Knitting not allowed

It took two doctors and the threat of not being able to knit for a year if I didn't obey. Apparently my wrists (both of them) are inflamed from a combination of injury and overuse.

Two weeks. That's an absolute minimum of how long I am not allowed to knit, spin, type (ops) or do any repetitive motion. Two weeks plus to get the inflammation down. Then there is recovery time, which could be a few months after that. Maybe then, if I do what they say - aka not knit or any of my other hobbies like blogging or writing, then I can start to get better.

What am I going to do with myself? How can I turn yet another setback into something positive?

4 comments:

Josiane said...

I'm so sorry to read those sad news. That must be pretty disheartening to you. It will no doubt take a great deal of creativity to turn this setback into something positive, but I know you're gifted on the creativity front. I'll try to come up with ideas too. I sincerely hope something positive will emerge from that recovery period, be it the discovery of a new activity that you'll love, or something else completely.

Nat said...

I'm so sorry, I am glad you have an answer but that's so not fun. :(

Can you cook? Sew? Write by hand? Read? Garden? Do research for your book? Browse the internet without the keyboard (maybe with a mouse pointer or pen mouse rather than a wrist-operated one, or even a hands-free one)? Can you use voice transcription software to get your words into the computer? (not 100% accurate but they're pretty good these days and maybe enough to not give up blogging)

Wishing you solutions to these problems soon, let me know if there's anything I can do to be supportive.

curlysalamander said...

Oh dear, this is really too much. Really. Too. Much. I wish I could find something more constructive to say, but at this point I'm shaking my fist at the gods. (This is a traditional Italian witch thing to do -- threatening the gods into good behavior.) I'm not sure it works, but that's all I can think of right now.

Nat said...

Just ran into this:
http://jott.com/default.aspx
It's an over-the-phone voice transcription service which can integrate with a bunch of online services like Blogger. They apparently just added local Canadian numbers.

It seems pretty accurate so far. I'm going to try it for reminders and such. I don't know how well it would work for blogging as my writing process tends to be pretty different from coming up with things to say on the fly, but maybe worth a shot?