Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Moss St Market - one of four

The Moss St Market is within easy walking distance of my home. Well, I say easy, and it would be if not for the trip home, where we climb up hill with a great number of heavy goodies gathered in cloth bags, slung over our shoulders. So it would be an easy walk from our home if it wasn't so lovely and the vendors were not so tempting.


I love the lazy Saturday mornings in the summer. The market starts almost early enough to avoid the heat of the day. We depart our home after a leisurely coffee and breakfast, taking our time as we amble towards the excitement.


The Moss St Market is, you guessed it, on Moss st. It takes place on a school yard, next to the playground which is always littered with youngins while one or other (which ever isn't watching the play) of their caregivers meander around the vendors' stalls.


In the center of it all are musicians and some benches on which you can sit and enjoy the music. It's funny, first time visitors can spend an hour or more before they realize that they are hearing live music. This music is a vital part of the atmosphere and it seeps around the market, permeating every transaction.


On three sides, the artisans encase the musical core of the market. Stalls of wonderful creations, of environmentally friendly and hand made goodies are carefully placed on tables and racks in hopes of tempting buyers. Along the fourth side is lunch. Wonderful foods cooked right there at the market. The smell alone is enough to overcome all other senses and to waken a deep seed of hunger in one's stomach. My favorite lunch is created by a woman's group. They always have among the longest line up at their tent and the most amazing food. The recipes for their tasty treats come from an area of the world spanning between India and Morocco. The goat cheese, pea and spinach pasty (I think you spell it Beraq) is a special favorite of mine.


The outer ring of stalls provide the opportunity to purchase fresh, organic, locally grown vegetables - and lots of them. There are even two vendors who sell local honey. Fresh honey, only a few week or days out of the hive, has a taste to it unlike anything you could ever find in the shops. I highly recommend it.


That is a summery of my local market. I wish to whichever deity smiles on small artisan and farmers' markets that this was a year round joy. Perhaps one day there will be enough people wanting to brave the wet winter weather to make it worth while opening their doors, so to speak, year round. Goodness knows with the weather we have locally, if you are smart about it, it is easy to grow crops to harvest year round; even if it's just leeks and brussel sprouts.



For the next three days, please allow me tell you about a few special vendors who caught my eye this week.


2 comments:

Beth said...

I think I'm going to have to go and get me some of that honey - this is the second time in two days that I've heard someone talk about the honey you can get at Moss St Market! Perhaps this Saturday...I can't believe I haven't been to the market all summer! Thanks for posting about it.

Josiane said...

That was a nice overview of the market, and the next best thing to being there! Actually, it makes it really tempting to put it on the list of places to go one day...
The funny thing is that every time you write about the Moss St Market, my mind can't help reading it as the Moss Stitch Market! :)
A friend for Ex-Yugoslavia taught me how to cook burek, and I guess it was the variation from her corner of the world on the beraq you have at the market. There are so many yummy interpretations of that dish, and the wonderful thing is that it's really easy to make!