Monday, September 29, 2008

many blood sucking insects

I can't believe I blogged about politics. It's not like me at all. Or, at least, I didn't think it was. Hopefully I haven't offended any-one's favourite party so badly that you won't come back.

This election thing is really frustrating to me. I really want to vote for someone (Thanks for the idea about writing to them re. Lyme. It's a good idea. Problem is that health care is governed by the province. Then again, the province seems to have failed me, so it might be time to go the next level up.), even if I don't think that democracy is the best-est thing in the world. Even Aristotle had his doubts. No really, he did. Read it some time; his critique is amazingly relevant to this day and age. But this democratic-like system is the best we have and I feel that if I don't participate then I don't have the right to complain about it when everything goes to pot.

The last election, people seemed to care around here. My friends (many of whom I'm not allowed to talk politics with under normal circumstances - we have different points of view on certain issues) got together and watched the leadership debates. It was fun. The leaders got up and yelled at each other about who was the most Francophone. Not a great move during the English debate. The language issue is still a bit sore out West. I personally don't mind having two official languages even if I only speak one of them. But some people I know are rather bitter about the affirmative action thing. But the point of that is that my friends and I, despite our different political views, had fun watching politics. This time around, no one even talks about it.

There I am going on about politics again. I really need to stop that.

So here's a joke:

Q: What do you call many blood sucking insects?

A: Poly tics (politics)

In bad taste? Perhaps. But then again, if anyone knows a thing or two about the danger of ticks, I think that's me.

And my promise to you - since I've run out of feet to put into my mouth - is that unless something really funny or exciting happens during this election, I won't talk about it any more.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

Don't hold off talking about politics if you feel like it! Your take on it as a philosopher would certainly be interesting to read, as evidenced by the little piece of info about Aristotle doubts that you mentioned in your post.
I know that health care delivery is governed by the province, but let's not forget the fact that the federal government is responsible for at least part of the financing of the provincial health care systems, and they consequently tend to like having their say in what is done with the funding. Also, Health Canada's website states that "Among other activities, Health Canada's responsibilities for health care include setting and administering national principles for the health care system through the Canada Health Act". It would be worth it to go and find out which candidate(s) would be willing to actually go and do something (alone and together with their provincial couterpart) so that the national principle of "universal coverage for medically necessary health care services provided on the basis of need, rather than the ability to pay" would be applied to your particular situation so that your need for a treatment would be met.
You need all the help you can get, so don't hesitate to turn to your political representatives at every level; involve them and bring them to work together so that they become part of the solution! A federal representative working with you may be able to help you reach the right persons and get more satisfying answers at the provincial level.