Friday, October 17, 2008

So glad

I'm so glad I went to Guild last night. Guild nights are one of my three most favourite nights of the month (along with my two spinning nights).

Guild nights are filled with wonderful energy. The people there are so different and yet, so much the same. We all share a passion for yarn, fibre and textiles. The room, a rather large room I might add, is just filled with people.

It's wonderful to arrive and be greeted by your friends. It's not like spinning night when you get to sit down with them for a few hours, it's more like a festival where you get a quick hug and a few words, then off you go to the next person. But it is great like this because it makes a person feel so welcomed. Then, after a few quick hugs, I wonder over to get my name tag and have a quick look at what the vendor brought to tempt us with. Then I dump my coat and bag on a chair (usually in the back with all the 'trouble makers' like myself) and take a moment to just listen to the music that conversation makes.

I don't know if I've talked about this before, but I love the sound that crowds make. The serious hushed murmur of a theater crowd between the time when they take their seats and when the curtain goes up. It starts out slow and nervous then gradually builds to a level of intensity similar to that of kids in a play ground, then hushes again to a trickling murmur as the performance begins. Guild night before the meeting starts has the cheerful sound like pop fizzing when you pour sugar into the glass. It has such a happy flavour that I feel if only I could stand there long enough listening, I would absorb enough energy to move the world.

There is also always the chance to meet someone new. There are so many people in this guild, and it seems like it is growing every meeting, that I always get the chance to meet new people. Last night I meet the kind of person I've been searching for who could help me understand my illness. I didn't even think to look at the guild, but there she was. I'm excited to see where this leads to.

Today, I'm completely done in; even more so than I was yesterday. I wasn't up to that much exertion but it was worth it. I had so much fun. Today I have an appointment in the morning, then I think a nap, then I'll read those wonderful links that Josiane kindly sent my way and learn how to finish off my first woven scarf.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

I hope those links will be helpful to you. Let me know how it goes! I'm looking forward to the pictures of your finished scarf!
I'm happy to read that you had such a great time at the guild meeting! I hope the wonderful energy you took in at the guild helps you deal with the exhaustion. It sounds like it was really worth it, though. It's awesome that you met the kind of person you were looking for! I just knew that this person would appear in your life soon after you mentioned you were looking for someone with whom you could share about Lyme.