Saturday, November 08, 2008

Dear people who sew, please help.

Dear people who sew,

I need your help.

I've been on the look out for the perfect winter skirt. I've searched the local shops, and can find no one who sells skirts. Can you believe it? Not a skirt to be had anywhere in town. That's weird. So, I've got it into my head that maybe I can sew myself one or two. What do you think? It can't be all that difficult.

What I would like in a skirt is for it to be about half way between my ankles and my knees in length, wool woven fabric, preferably with a twill but not too thick, grey, charcoal or brown, lined with something soft (or perhaps a slip instead), have pockets and a place to slip a belt. I would also like it to have a bit of room to move so that it is easy to walk (but not a big slit up the back or side).

I know, this is rather specific. The thing is, I'm still at the sewing stage where I can follow a pattern with great effort. So, designing my own skirt is out of the question. I do feel that I can make minor adaptations (for example, I've managed to lengthen the sleeves on a blouse and I hope to combine different elements from two blouse patterns to make the blouse I want). But, that's about the extent of what I can do so far. I've tried searching the Internet for patterns that would work, but have had no success.

My question to you oh wise sewing people of the Internet: Does anyone know of any patterns that would match my desires? The less expensive the better. I have coasted it out that the materials would cost less than half the price of what the shops would charge if they carried a skirt like this. I just need to find a pattern. Please help.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

Is there a sewing shop near you where you could go and leaf through the pattern catalogs? Would you be able to do that? (I'm not sure if they're printed with inks that are ok with you.)
I used to do that a lot as a kid, shopping for patterns and fabrics with my grandmother so that we'd find what she'd sew for me. I could spend a lot of time going through these catalogs that were so full of wonderful possibilities... I should go and do it again with her, even though she can't sew much anymore - I need to learn how to do it myself.