Saturday, November 15, 2008

Knotty by Nature Grand Opening

If a fibre festival is like Christmas, then the opening of a new fibre shop is like the promise of a fantastic new year.






Let me introduce you to Stephanie.










Ryan and Stephanie are the proud new owners of Victoria's newest fibre shop: Knotty by Nature. I first met these two at the beginning of this year at a spinning event. I was shy and I think maybe they were a little bit too. The thing was that at this particular event, the room was overflowing with spinners from all over which can overwhelm a person with good vibes. No matter how shy I was feeling, I couldn't help but be intrigued by the whispers that these two people were planing on opening a new fibre shop in town.






There are lots of great shops in the area, fibre, weaving, spinning, knitting, &c. but most of them require a car and a day trip to get to them. I very seldom manage to get to them even once a year, so when I heard that there would be a fibre shop, not just a yarn shop but one with weaving, spinning, felting, and yarn, in Victoria proper, I was head over heals in love.









Back in June I had the privilege to interview the creators of Knotty by Nature and I was very pleased to discover that their values are in line with what I think a small business should be: community minded. Along with the usual products, Knotty by Nature focuses on local items. They carry fibres from Treenway Silks, yarns from Indigo Moon, and all sorts of other local products. I think it's very important for a business to support local producers and I am glad that the people of Knotty by Nature have taken this to heart.










What I like most about this shop is that it already feels like an essential part of the community. Not only do they already give back to the community, I know they will grow with and offer a positive influence on the yarn and fibre people who live and visit our little corner of Canada.









Although they are already open for business, Knotty by Nature will have it's grand opening celebration on December 6th, 2008, from 10am to 6pm. They are located at: 1816 Government St., in Victoria, BC. Check out their blog for updates.




I plan to be there for as much of the day as I can and I hope to see you there. To help tempt you, here are a few photos of a few luxury fibres they are selling. mmmm.... silk.
































2 comments:

Knotty By Nature Fibres Arts said...

Thank you seems like injustice to the gratitude and smile on my face from reading your blog. We were realy happy today that you guys came into hang out and knit, it really enriched the space.

Josiane said...

Wow, the fabrics surrounding Stephanie in that first picture are gorgeous! I wish I could be there... (Did you really think I needed help to be tempted?) I'll be thinking of you on December 6th. Have a great time!