Monday, January 19, 2009

Angora?


Her name is Ginger.

I thought, what the heck, when am I going to have another chance at getting a free Angora rabbit? It's curious though, I've never seen a photo of an angora with loped ears. I think she might be a Fuzzy Lop, but I don't know enough about wabbits to be certain.

So, I went to the shop and bought a comb, some nail clippers (clipping the nails totally freak me out, but then again, I hate clipping my own nails, I almost always get the quick. So, I've asked dad to clip the rabbit's nails), and some food. The fir looks fine from the outside, but once you get below the thin layer of guard hairs, the fur is a mess. It's so matted together that I'm not certain if I will ever get it sorted out. I'm going to do this gently over the next few days using a comb and some scissors. I would sheer the bunny, but my hands shake and I think I might hurt her. Looking at the fir, I think it would be lovely to spin. The staple length is about two to two and a half inches long. Maybe longer once the matts get out. It's so fine, more so than the sample of angora fibre I got ages ago. It has crimp like Mariano.

Anyway, the rabbit will live in our too full apartment until we move. Tomorrow we give the cage a good cleaning and hopefully make the adorable rabbit smell better.

4 comments:

Natalie Freed said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :) Yay!!!!

Karen said...

What an adventure! I wondered if you could bathe Ginger and so googled "bathe an angora rabbit?" - wow - what a wealth of information. Is there anything one could ask about googling and not get oodles of sites?
Anyway - I'm glad you got her.

Jen said...

Hahah! She looks like such a grump in that picture. So adorable!

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier. It seems like the situation sorted itself out. Did it take some convincing on your part?

Josiane said...

What a sweet bunny! And her fibre definitely looks like it will be a treat to spin! You'll be nicely rewarded for the time you'll have spent sorting out the mess that is her fur right now...